WAN Access Using MBC

bxsteez
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

bxsteez

I wasn't sure if this should be in the server forum or the classic forum so forgive me if I placed it in the wrong place.  I have MediaBrowser Server running on a computer in my house and I'm wondering if its possible for me to access that server via MBC on a laptop from outside of my local network. 

I have been able to set it up so I can connect to the server but when I try and play any file it doesn't "Stream" it tries to access the UNC which is based on being within my network.  Will I have to change the path to some sort of out of network remote access to my drives? Or should MB Server already be doing this and I'm actually have a codec issue?

Koleckai Silvestri

Are you using Windows 8.1 on that laptop? You would probably have better results with the WIndows 8 App instead of MBC. The App is designed for streaming.

• Solution

WMC does not stream anything from our server well so MBC doesn't even try at this point.  We're working on it a little bit but are pretty handcuffed by 7-8 year old technology.

• Like 1

bxsteez

Ahh so the best bet is to just use the Windows Media Browser App?  I know the Android app works perfectly.

bxsteez

Are you using Windows 8.1 on that laptop? You would probably have better results with the WIndows 8 App instead of MBC. The App is designed for streaming.

Yea.  That is what i'm trying to do now. Just had a thought though.  Does MediaBrowser Theater support streaming?

JeremyFr79

I actually do this, but I'm running a PFsense Firewall with OpenVPN so I'm VPN'ing into my network and am able to stream that way.  You'll want to have a nice fast upload though, I'm on a 125down/25up connection so it works fairly well most of the time.

Yea.  That is what i'm trying to do now. Just had a thought though.  Does MediaBrowser Theater support streaming?

Yes.

bxsteez

I only get process errors when I try and use Media Browser Theater.  The log has an Internal Direct Show Player Error.

I only get process errors when I try and use Media Browser Theater.  The log has an Internal Direct Show Player Error.

Please address that in the MBT forum.