Hope for WMC

JAJ

throgmorton

If I understand this correctly, you would still be reliant on having WMC installed on your system. So for Windows 10 users you would still have to manually install Media Center. Correct?

If I understand this correctly, you would still be reliant on having WMC installed on your system. So for Windows 10 users you would still have to manually install Media Center. Correct?

yes

I am sure a Microsoft update will mess it up at some point. It is just nice to see some new active development on a great live tv/dvr  program.  I have been using WMC since XP, and still to this day have not found a viable replacement for its TV/DVR features.  Although Emby is getting real close.

throgmorton

I am sure a Microsoft update will mess it up at some point.

Thats what I'm worried about, so just need to figure out why the green button won't launch WMC on my HTPC (but it will on my dev machine), then I'm going to disable the update service, so they don't sneak anything in on my HTPC.

throgmorton

Well it's the way the article was worded. It out the focus was windows 10 with it also working on Win 7 &8.1. Not to mention the website is windows10mediacenter.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jachin99

I know your right but for the sake of wishful thinking, I hope there will be some Legacy windows applications as well.  In a perfect world, they will be able to replace the web browser with edge, enable external video renderers (Like Mad VR) and HDR support.  Without doing something like that and resolving all of the tuner issues I won't be too sold on it.  Because you can convert desktop apps to UWP maybe they will make a version of each. 

throgmorton

TBH, I was a little hesitant at first to move to windows 10, but I actually find WMC more stable now. I would find that often find that coming out of sleep mode that the Emby or even the older MB2.6.2 app would be unresponsive. So much so that i had to install a 3rd party software to kill the plugin when the machine went to sleep and relaunch when it woke up. Under windows 10 I haven't notice this issue ever.

Now apart from the Emby app I barely use any of the rest of WMC so I'm not sure how relevant this project will be, but if it allows more people to use WMC I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me , WMC best features have been its live tv/dvr feature, epecially how the guide operates from a navigation perspective (fluid channel surfing, page up/down for faster scrolling, and the live tv menu overlay while looking at other content). Combine that with extenders, the ability to launch external programs and menu customization make it a fantastic compliment to the emby WMC plugin. Once emby theater has these features then it will be time to move on from WMC, but for now its hard to beat WMC.

• Like 1

I agree with what you say JAJ , WMC I think it is the best Microsoft has done, in fact I continue and will continue with Windows 7 for my HTPC machine, one of the great things about WMC is that it is integrated into the operating system and is not it's necessary to start WMC to a TV recording.

It's a pain that the Emby team does not develop a new app for WMC similar to the rest of the wonderful ones for Roku or Android avoiding the duplicity of backgrounds that it generates with Emby for WMC in its own directory, increasing the space on the SDD disk.

• Like 2

I am with Teddy and JAJ, WMCs TV/EPG/DVR are still the best and the only reason why I kept my Win7 HTPC going as long as I did..  That was until I decided to cut-the-chord last month and move to streaming services.  After much research and decision making, I finally got rid of my HTPC and moved to an Android TV nVidia Shield, HDhomerun OTA network tuner and a small NUC Server ( running SABnzbd, Sonarr, Emby Server ).

From a cut-the-chord point of view, WMC simply cannot compete given the extreme lack of apps ( except for maybe Youtube which is the only app I could find with a real Leanback interface ).

In the end, as much as I miss that EPG/DVR, we are very happy with our new systems and the many viewing options..  Also, do not miss at all the HDMI-CEC hell I went through trying to fully automate my system. 

As far as this announcement, it seems it is simply a collection of available tweaks/hacks/mods and is very much welcomed. 

A software-based media extender would be so welcomed, too!

With $50 streaming boxes and $30 ChromeCasts, the days of the "Media Extender" are pretty much done.

With $50 streaming boxes and $30 ChromeCasts, the days of the "Media Extender" are pretty much done.

I mean an extender to hook into WMC, otherwise ya WMC > serverWMC > Emby > Roku/Chromecast/etc works, too.

• 1 month later...