Server Loading/Display Issue

PureCuriosity
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

PureCuriosity

Hey, I've tried out emby for a couple weeks now and really liking it.

The other day I started to have an issue with remote viewing where it wouldn't load any content, I haven't had time to look into the issue until today to which my computer/server that hosts emby has the same issue.

I've restarted the emby server, restarted the computer, deinstalled, reinstalled the server (I've tried a few different versions). And I'm still getting the problem.

In the log file the error reads:

Error App: LoaderException: Could not load type 'EmbyServer.Windows.ShellLink' from assembly 'EmbyServer, Version=3.2.36.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

I've tried searching on the forums and haven't found this error. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there, that message is benign and is not causing any problems.

Does this resolve your issue? If not then please attach the complete emby server log. Thanks.

PureCuriosity

Yes, I even added/removed folders to see if anything else appeared.

I should also note, when I attempted to rescan the libraries whether as a whole or individually. It wouldn't load to the scan and cut out the scanning(loading) bar very quickly. Again this didn't happen prior to the display issue.

Edited by PureCuriosity

Apparently the scan completed right away. can you show a screenshot of your library setup? have you actually added any folders? thanks.

PureCuriosity

Yes, I have a few directories added. Prior to a few days ago all of them displayed fine.

post-250351-0-19345000-1510374101_thumb.jpg

There is approx 6200 videos with a mix of tv shows and movies in all the folders combined.

Edited by PureCuriosity

What happened over the last few days? You said you just installed Emby Server a few weeks ago, right? That was the first time?

PureCuriosity

Yes, maybe 2 weeks ago or so. I've been testing it with plex and I find emby much better. A big plus was emby's privacy settings and disclosures. Although in the future I'd love to see a ps4/sony tv app :).

This was the only issue I've had. I do recall that a few days ago the server prompted me for an update, as I was about 3 versions behind. I let it do the update and afterwards when I tried to access the server remotely is when I first encountered the issue.

It wasn't until today that I've been able to sit down to attempt to fix the issue, at which I tried reinstalling multiple versions. All to no success.

Edited by PureCuriosity

PureCuriosity

It seems the issue was with the library file. After creating a new one that's when items reappeared.

Thanks so much for your help and quick responses Luke!

Cheers! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Luke, 

Just wanted to throw out there at I just had the exact same experience. Only difference is I'm a life time contributer, and my emby-server has been running for 3-4 years. I tried to use my emby android app, and it said I needed to update my server. I don't update my linux server that often, and it seems I was running something pre 3.2.22 because that was what it was trying to update to. It couldn't, because that version isn't in the repo anymore, so I was getting a 404 trying to update. I just went to the download page, like in your answer here, and updated that way. 

I started noticing some of my items had missing art. Covers were blank and what not. If I tried to update them, or update the meta data it would just spin the spinny thingie and do nothing. Then over about an hour of playing with it, more and more stuff started disappearing. Till finally everything was gone, I had nothing on my home screen. And I got the same results as the OP trying to scan my library. I just had to delete it like your answer said, and now I'm able to start rebuilding. It's scanning now.

Just letting you know, something seems to be hosing the library. I don't know if your getting other reports, but something ain't right somewhere. I don't know if it happened during the upgrade, or if it has been hosed awhile and I just now noticed. But thought you should know. Never got any errors in the log. 

dcrdev

Luke, 

Just wanted to throw out there at I just had the exact same experience. Only difference is I'm a life time contributer, and my emby-server has been running for 3-4 years. I tried to use my emby android app, and it said I needed to update my server. I don't update my linux server that often, and it seems I was running something pre 3.2.22 because that was what it was trying to update to. It couldn't, because that version isn't in the repo anymore, so I was getting a 404 trying to update. I just went to the download page, like in your answer here, and updated that way. 

I started noticing some of my items had missing art. Covers were blank and what not. If I tried to update them, or update the meta data it would just spin the spinny thingie and do nothing. Then over about an hour of playing with it, more and more stuff started disappearing. Till finally everything was gone, I had nothing on my home screen. And I got the same results as the OP trying to scan my library. I just had to delete it like your answer said, and now I'm able to start rebuilding. It's scanning now.

Just letting you know, something seems to be hosing the library. I don't know if your getting other reports, but something ain't right somewhere. I don't know if it happened during the upgrade, or if it has been hosed awhile and I just now noticed. But thought you should know. Never got any errors in the log. 

I started experiencing the same thing - current theory is that Emby is being terminated abruptly on shutdown and this is causing database corruption issues. I don't know if you have had similar messages in your logs. But my current workaround seems to be working for me: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52697-database-issues-sqliteexception/&do=findComment&comment=511297

Well he said it is re-scanning so we should probably wait and see his results once that has completed. thanks.

My Libraries are rebuilt now and everything seems to be working fine. It saved all my settings, so aside from having to rename my library and the time it took to re-scan, no harm, no foul. However, if I hadn't have come here and found this answer, I'd have been dead in the water.

Luke, may I suggest some logic that identifies when the library is hosed, and gives an option to rebuild the library? I can send you my old library file if you would like? In fact, I'll just host it up and link to it. If anyone wants to take a look, have at.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/PJDcvdSbjNaNX5sCrPMRbZPKNbXpExdIyNSoG8fekp1

Thanks Luke, as always, your the best!!!

This is one community I can say I've never been sorry I became a monetary supporter of. 

I just want to take this moment to thank you (and all the guys who have helped) for what you have made us! This is the most amazing project for us server guys. Kodi is great if your running directly hooked to a TV, but the only server competition is Plex, and Emby is so much better. And their commercial! Hats off to you Luke, you've done something amazing!