can't get live tv to work (hdhomerun)

groovejumper

groovejumper

While we still love MCE, we're getting frustrated with stuff outside of MCE not working very well in Windows 7 (netflix, local channel streams, etc).  So I'm starting to look at alternatives, and being a longtime Emby/MB user I figured that would be a good place to start...

So the first step was going to be to set up Live TV with our HDHomeRun (original versions) tuners (2x dual tuners, all OTA).  I updated the firmware from the 2012 version that was on them, went through the hdhomerun scan/setup routine, and set up my schedules direct account (which I already had for MCE).  I already have an Emby Premiere account as well.

When I load the guide (which works fine) in Edge, Theater app, or Android app, the results are the same - I click on a show to watch live, and I get a never ending spinning circle.

In the log, it looks like the error is "SessionWebSocketListener: Unable to find session based on web socket message" (at least I think that's it).  Attached log playback attempted at 16:48 (for example, but I tried a bunch of times today).

Emby version is 3.2.36.0.  HDHomerun app tunes channels just fine.

server-63645928140.txt

groovejumper

Yeah that was the first thing I did, it was on a version from 2012, today I updated it to the current version on SD's site, 20170930.

Sounds like you would do everything I would do when I update firmware.

Update Firmware, rescan channels, then refresh guide data from within Emby server.

Did you happen to add the format for Emby to your schedules direct account?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

groovejumper

Hmmm, I'm not sure?  I hadn't changed anything on Schedules Direct, but I just checked, and when I set up epg123 a while back I guess I also ticked Emby, not sure if that would've made a difference though as I think they both use the JSON service which doesn't require any configuration on their site?  In any case Emby's got a checkmark beside it in Account Details/Software You Use, is there something else I need to do there?

Though I'd be surprised if that was the issue, the guide itself in Emby seems to work which says to me that I'm successfully getting data from schedules direct.

• Like 1

Just as a way to narrow things down are you able to watch tv if you use the hdhomerun app? By that i mean it would be the hdhr app connecting to the hdhr so the emby server would not be involved. This will at least ensure the hdhr is working.

Edited by tdiguy
  • Like 1

I was curious about if the guide could be an issue on this so i deleted my guide provider and waited for it to update. I was able to watch tv without a guide. So i am thinking something else is causing this issue.

It appears you have a legacy HDHR, which is fine. We are using their older udp socket api for these devices and it appears the process of opening the live stream is just never completing. I will need to do some searching because I recall another community member a few months ago reporting something almost identical, and I believe they solved it on their own.

groovejumper

Yeah, I bought the first one in 2008 and the 2nd one in 2009 (or so).  So I guess that makes them legacy :)

Happy to try anything I can on my end.  No worries on rolling up my sleeves on this, I write software including .net and high performance tcp/socket applications...

groovejumper

So I wanted to keep this moving, so I did some troubleshooting on my end.  Read up on the legacy hdhomerun api, as I understand it, a command is sent to the hdhr to being streaming to a specific ip address & udp port.  The client application should open the port and listen, and then render the stream that's sent to it.

Running the hdhomerun app and tuning a channel seems to support this, I do see hdhomerunview.exe opening UDP port 58535 on 0.0.0.0. 

But, when I run emby theater (desktop), I see no such listening port under emby.theater.exe (or for that matter any of the 3 electron.exe processes that start with emby theater).

So I'm not sure what to do next.  I suppose I could try to sniff what's happening on the network in front of the HDHR, I was hoping that enabling debug logging on the server would help (it didn't), or debug logging on the client (also no help).

BAlGaInTl

I had a similar issue once, but my server is Linux and I run Emby in a Docker container.

I tried restarting the container, clearing app caches, updating the firmware, rescanning channels on a windows box, all kinds of stuff.

Finally, I rebooted the physical server and everything came back.  No idea what was hanging up. 

groovejumper

Welp, apparently not!  Your timing is good - when I first started getting Live TV set up, I did reboot the server but still had the issue.  Today, I not only shut it down, but I also powered off both HDHR's.  After everything powered up again, I am now up & running!

I can't imaging powering down the server did it, but I bet that after upgrading the fw on the HDHR's they didn't automatically reset?  (I assumed they were ok as they were operational in the HDHR app)  Seems odd but the power cycle did it.

Thanks for checking in!

BAlGaInTl

Welp, apparently not!  Your timing is good - when I first started getting Live TV set up, I did reboot the server but still had the issue.  Today, I not only shut it down, but I also powered off both HDHR's.  After everything powered up again, I am now up & running!

I can't imaging powering down the server did it, but I bet that after upgrading the fw on the HDHR's they didn't automatically reset?  (I assumed they were ok as they were operational in the HDHR app)  Seems odd but the power cycle did it.

Thanks for checking in!

Yes that sounds similar to what happened to me and my legacy HDHR.  It all worked at one point and then I was getting split recordings and it degraded until I basically couldn't tune any channel.

It surprised me as well because I rarely restart my actual server.  I thought killing/restarting the container would be enough.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51311-recordings-split-after-upgrade-to-32320/