Default to AC3 audio in MP4 videos

jntaylor1701

jntaylor1701

I would like to have the option for the Emby server to default to the AC3 audio track in MP4 videos when AAC audio is also included.  

If people rip DVD / BR to an Apple TV profile, the AAC audio is listed first and will be played by the Emby app / client first.  It would save the step of selecting the AC3 track during playback.

mastrmind11

I would like to have the option for the Emby server to default to the AC3 audio track in MP4 videos when AAC audio is also included.  

If people rip DVD / BR to an Apple TV profile, the AAC audio is listed first and will be played by the Emby app / client first.  It would save the step of selecting the AC3 track during playback.

Not a default, but easier than doing it once the file starts playing:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52635-32362-source-selection/

Waldonnis

You can reorder the tracks with mp4box or ffmpeg, and scripting it for bulk usage should be pretty easy.  While obviously not ideal, it may be the only option for now if your intent is to always default to the AC3 track.  If your encoding/ripping software supports it, you may want to change the default order of the tracks in the output files so you don't have to worry about it in the future.  If not, you could always add a step to the end of your encoding procedure that remuxes the output file to fix the track order (takes very little time to do; I do something similar, but my most often-used scripts are for adding things like stream language metadata and embedding subtitle streams).

That feature mentioned above is still in testing, I believe, so it won't show up on the current release quite yet.  Of course, corresponding changes will probably need to be made by the team to the client apps so it works when using something other than a browser for playback.

If the files were in a Matroska container (mkv), you wouldn't need to remux (just a header property edit), but...yeah.  I wish Apple would just cave and finally support Matroska natively instead of clinging to m4v/mp4 and all of the limitations inherent to the container...but that's a whole other matter and they're not the only ones who need to broaden their container support.  /endrant  :P