Reworking permissions, need suggestions.

mastrmind11

mastrmind11

When I first installed Emby, I set it up on a new box w/ a single super user (me), so I tweaked emby to run as me since all of my shares/files already had permissions for only me to access them.  Now that I've added monitoring/proxies/etc to the box, not being able to distinguish emby tasks from my user tasks is becoming a real pita.  Since my user is the only user w/ access to my shares/files (everything is set to me:me and 755), I'm trying to determine the best way to re-permission everything so that user emby has RW access to the shares and files w/o breaking stuff.  Any of my other media related apps run as me as well, and eventually I'd like to repermission those apps to run as their own user.  The goal for now is to get emby running as user emby, and have access to my shares and existing media files w/o breaking the access to the same stuff from other apps that also have access.

So, the obvious way to do this is to create a group, add emby to the group (and potentially me, though this is probably not necessary if I keep myself as the dir/file owner), change the share group to the new group, and set it to 775.  If the files in the directories have the guest read bit set, I don't think I will have to retroactively change their permissions, correct?  Will new files like recorded TV inherit the parent folder permissions going forward or is that something I have to explicitly set at the file system level? (running Ubuntu)

Again, I think this is the correct way to do it, just looking for either confirmation or a better way.  Appreciate the help.