Emby on Fire TV stick sometimes won't load until I clear the data and cache

heerssimpson

heerssimpson

I have a fire tv stick. First it was working fine. However, in the last 3-4 weeks, most of the time when I launch the app, it never actually loads, the screen just stays black. If I go into app settings and clear the app data and cache, Emby then loads fine. I tried uninstall and reinstalling the app, same issue.

Any tips to resolve this?

heerssimpson

This is a new one.  Is it actually a fully black screen?

Yes, although it may have a slightly brown color to it. If I hit the home button on the remote, it goes back to home on the fire tv. Do you recommend I reset the stick, or is there something else I can try? I would like to avoid having to reinput my info into the stick, but I will try it if you recommend it. 

• 2 weeks later...
heerssimpson

Unfortunately I have not. I tried resetting the entire stick hoping that would help, it didn't. What is the resolution for the gray screen issue? Maybe that will help.

• 2 months later...
smerrikin

always have to force stopping the app. 

Still having this issue and the beta solved it a bit.  

Happened today. Was in Emby. Switched to Netflix for 1 show and then tried to go back to Emby but it was just grey. Wouldn't load. 

Finally figured out how to send logs so hopefully we can get a resolution. 

always have to force stopping the app. 

Still having this issue and the beta solved it a bit.  

Happened today. Was in Emby. Switched to Netflix for 1 show and then tried to go back to Emby but it was just grey. Wouldn't load. 

Finally figured out how to send logs so hopefully we can get a resolution. 

Exactly how did you "switch to netflix" and can you please include the other information requested when sending a log from the app?

Thanks.

smerrikin

Happened twice today when I had this issue but on my Android TV this time.

Once I just turned on my tv and loaded up Emby. Probably hasn't been used in 3 hours. Sent logs at 5:30 EST. User is Home

Can attach server logs if necessary.

Second time my stupid fingers hit the home button while watching a show. Tried to open Emby back up right away and nope. Would load and froze the whole thing. Had to press home and and force stop.

Time was 5:46 EST and user home.

Send logs around then too.

What else do you need??

And here all this time i thought it was just my wife not using the thing properly.

I have seen it happen a few times where I cant load emby it just gives me a black screen. I press the home button on the firestick remote and i see all my apps. I normally try to launch emby again and the same thing just black. I now have a smart plug so i can easily remotely reboot the device. After power cycling the firestick it normally works.

I did not know about force stopping the app or clearing data i will have to google how to do that probably takes less time than rebooting.

smerrikin

To force stop just go to Settings, then Applications, choose app, force stop

Apparently from a Google search you can also press Select and Play/Pause for 5 sec to restart the device. Haven't tried this but would be simple to tell the wife.

I'm on the beta for the Firetv and it still happens there and the regular version on Nexus Player.

My Firetv is a basic firetv stick.

smerrikin

Happened again tonight on the firetv

sent logs at 8:42 EST User was Shawn.  Paused a show at around 7:51. Screen went into sleep mode. Woke it up at 8:40 by pressing the home a couple times. 

Tried to load the Emby beta app and it was just grey. Had to force stop

Happened again tonight on the firetv

sent logs at 8:42 EST User was Shawn.  Paused a show at around 7:51. Screen went into sleep mode. Woke it up at 8:40 by pressing the home a couple times. 

Tried to load the Emby beta app and it was just grey. Had to force stop

Hi, you are running the beta version of the app and a change went out yesterday that may affect this.  I notice your version had not updated at this time so please be sure your app is up to date (should be .43 now) and then see if you can reproduce this the same way (pausing until the device goes to sleep).

My firetv seems more reliable than the fire stick I have. My fire stick is also an older gen that doesn't have the voice remote. Was something done with the ir commands? Powering off the tv now exits live TV or at least it did the one time I did it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk