Which Audio Track for BluRay in MakeMKV?

Scott750

Scott750

When ripping BluRays in MakeMKV, some movies have multiples of the same type of audio tracks and I'm having a hard time deciding which audio tracks to choose. I want to rip my BluRays with only one of the HD audio tracks (Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-Master) and DD 5.1 tracks (so when watching without the AVR on). I play movies from my HTPC using HDMI to my Yamaha RX-V671 AVR with 5.1 speakers hooked up to my Samsung PN64D8000 64" plasma.

Heres an example of when I was ripping Cars 2

MakeMKV_Audio_zps6a9187a0.png

So the options it has are:

DTS HD MA Surround 7.1 English

DTS HD MA Surround 5.1 English

Listed twice: DTS Surround 5.1 English

Listed three times: DD Stereo English

So what happens if I choose 7.1 but my AVR is setup for 5.1? Would it be better to choose the DTS HD MA 5.1 instead? I like to include a dolby digital either 5.1 or 2.0 so I can still have audio when only watching with the TV on and no AVR. But why does this movie have dolby stereo 3 times? do I need to select all 3 for stereo audio throughout the entire movie? or just one? Why is DTS 5.1 listed each time under an HD audio track?

Xzener

When I use TSMuxer to rip my Blurays, I only rip the HD audio. It still has a non-hd audio track embeded within it. So when I rip my Bluray folder rips to MKV, I select the HD audio. During transcoded playback in MB3, Ive never had a problem with missing audio.

Xzener

Best thing to do is run a couple tests. MBT has an option to choose which audio track you want to use.

AdrianW

In the case of Cars 2, I think the three DD audio tracks may be the standard, audio descriptive and commentary tracks.

The regular track is likely to be the first. It may be safest to rip all three, play the video and try each track and then use mkvmerge to remux the file and just deselect the tracks you don't want.

Edited by AdrianW

Scott750

So I tried selecting only the HD audio and when playing the movie I didn't have a problem as long as my AVR is on. But with the AVR off the sound is muted.  Streaming the movie by watching it using the web client was no problem tho. So I re-ripped it using the HD audio and all 3 stereo tracks. That worked but one of those stereo streams was for visually impaired as there was a person narrating the movie. Never heard that before. hehe

What about the difference between the 7.1 & 5.1 audio tracks? Would the 7.1 work on an AVR setup for 5.1? Does it matter?

Edited by Scott750

Are you bitstreaming? Hence no sound with avr off...?

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

Koleckai Silvestri

7.1 sound is an eight channel speaker setup. More surround sound definition to account for the two midrange speakers. It provides more spatial awareness to the sound.

5.1 is a six channel speaker setup. More common in today's homes.

Descriptive Audio for the Blind is great new technology. Even starting to see it available at the local cinemaplex more often. Though there it is streamed over headphones. If you have visually impaired friends, they will love this audio track. I have been seeking movies out with it because I have three friends who are legally blind. It allows them to enjoy the movies they love. Many times, the track is made available on the web as well. See: http://www.acb.org/adp/movies.html

Scott750

Are you bitstreaming? Hence no sound with avr off...?

Yes I am bitstreaming. I know the AVR will only play the HD audio tracks. But for those times I don't want the AVR, like late at night when people are sleeping I want stereo so the TV can play the audio.

7.1 sound is an eight channel speaker setup. More surround sound definition to account for the two midrange speakers. It provides more spatial awareness to the sound.

5.1 is a six channel speaker setup. More common in today's homes.

Descriptive Audio for the Blind is great new technology. Even starting to see it available at the local cinemaplex more often. Though there it is streamed over headphones. If you have visually impaired friends, they will love this audio track. I have been seeking movies out with it because I have three friends who are legally blind. It allows them to enjoy the movies they love. Many times, the track is made available on the web as well. See: http://www.acb.org/adp/movies.html

Thank you for the link. Honestly I have no need for the descriptive audio as me and everyone I know has decent hearing.   :)  I do know the difference between 7.1 and 5.1, but was just curious if I chose 7.1 sound if the AVR will still be able to play the audio being that my setup only has 5.1 speakers. I'm finding out that the AVR can take that 7.1 audio and it knows how many speakers are attached and send the sound out to the speakers I have appropriately.  

christoph86

When using MBC through tv without AVR I have to uncheck all the bitstreaming in the LAV audio GUI in order to get stereo sound to work, so check that.

Or get a wireless headset for your avr???