HEVC not transcoding for Amazon Fire HD

wedgekc

wedgekc

I have two Kindle Fire HD 7th Gen tablets.  The server will not transcode any X265 (main 10) videos automatically (x265 main profile can direct play).  The only way to play x265 main 10 profile videos is to force a transcode by setting a 480p resolution on Android (2.9.66). 

server.log

android.log

wedgekc

Interesting... So any Android/Android TV client that cannot direct play HEVC is useless for HEVC content... I'm not sure what you mean by add a setting, I thought Emby determined based on player, network, container etc that a transcode was needed or not needed, it was done dynamically, on the fly.  Is it "hard coded" for Android not to transcode HEVC?

The other question I have is why do I need to set 480p before I get transcoded video?  I cannot select 1080 or 720.

From my perspective HEVC seems to becoming more popular and supported natively by more devices.  I don't have a tremendous amount of HEVC content but I am starting to prefer it over x264 for a number of reasons.  I hope Emby is able to fully support HEVC soon.

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, we use libVlc which has it's own decoders, including hw support on some devices. The only real question is whether or not it will perform well enough on any given device.

That is something that is difficult for us to determine automatically so that's what i mean when i say a setting would be needed.

The other question I have is why do I need to set 480p before I get transcoded video?

Because anytime you set the max bitrate setting to something lower then the bitrate of the video you're trying to play, then of course it will transcode.

wedgekc

No, we use libVlc which has it's own decoders, including hw support on some devices. The only real question is whether or not it will perform well enough on any given device.

That is something that is difficult for us to determine automatically so that's what i mean when i say a setting would be needed.

Like the setting in Kodi that can be set to transcode all x265?  If that is the case, I would be for having that in Android, too.  Most devices (phones, tablets, etc) either support x265 or they don't, so having a switch would be especially useful for older devices.  It is a better alternative than having the video try to direct play on devices that have no chance of playing the video.

I would also be in favor of not setting quality selected while playing a video to the default.  The default should only be changed in the settings page.  Currently, changing the quality to play one video then transcodes everything unless changed back to auto.  The kids never seem to change it back to auto and they transcode everything until I happen to see it on the server.

Because anytime you set the max bitrate setting to something lower then the bitrate of the video you're trying to play, then of course it will transcode.

I see now.  I thought changing to anything from direct play would cause a video to transcode.

Thanks

Interesting... So any Android/Android TV client that cannot direct play HEVC is useless for HEVC content... 

The Android TV app should not have this problem.  Did you have an issue with it?

• 4 months later...

Old thread, but I'm having this exact same problem. I use an Amazon Fire Stick in the bedroom and all of my HEVC Main 10 encodes will not play. I'm connected via WiFi. Furthermore, I cannot seem to do anything to force transcoding from the server. The files always play DirectStream, even if I limit bitrate to under 1MB. Maybe because I'm on the same network?

Any suggestions?

Old thread, but I'm having this exact same problem. I use an Amazon Fire Stick in the bedroom and all of my HEVC Main 10 encodes will not play. I'm connected via WiFi. Furthermore, I cannot seem to do anything to force transcoding from the server. The files always play DirectStream, even if I limit bitrate to under 1MB. Maybe because I'm on the same network?

Any suggestions?

Perhaps you disabled transcoding permissions for your emby user? Based on what you've said that sounds like the only explanation. Please try again, then attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks.