Is Windows 10 eliminating network browsing?

Guest asrequested

So I host my VLANS, DHCP, DNS, and RADIUS authentication on my PFsense firewall. Here I use VLAN 172 as my guest VLAN. I will take some images shortly of my controller to enumerate the config.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

Guest asrequested

I don't think they're eliminating network browsing.

I wasn't sure after reading that post. But it seems to be present and working.

• 2 weeks later...
jachin99

One thing I haven't seen brought up yet is that If you don't use homegroup, you can also disable it under services where there are actually two different services for homegroup.  

Guest asrequested

Disable homegroup? What would that achieve? Creating/joining a homegroup is what gave me back my browsing.

I will add that I've recently reinstalled every computer on my network with the latest win 10 pro (using the updates turns out to be not such a good idea), and all computers were able to be browsed without the homegroup. But using the homegroup is recommended by Microsoft for this situation. During my research, that came up, repeatedly. And also mentioned by TurOK.

I think it is to do with M$ disabling the SMB1 protocol. I can still access my shares on 3 other Windows machines (WITHOUT using the Homegroup - I don't have one setup), but am not able to access My nVidia Shield 2017 from any Windows pc.

I tried everything with no luck and eventually got this msg when trying to map the Internal Shield drive:

post-196-0-93569400-1511393432_thumb.jpg

Edited by jordy

Guest asrequested

Yeah, and until now, I have never used a homegroup, either. But everywhere I read, Microsoft is saying to create one to solve the issue that I was having. And it did solve it. As to why, specifically, I not that knowledgeable.

Yeah, and until now, I have never used a homegroup, either. But everywhere I read, Microsoft is saying to create one to solve the issue that I was having. And it did solve it. As to why, specifically, I not that knowledgeable.

I used to have one setup but started to have credential issues between my Win10 and Win7 pc's so I disabled it and the problems went away.

Edited by jordy

Interestingly, my Win7 desktop and win10 HTPC just took updates over the holiday. The HTPC was the big fall win10 update; the desktop just finally applied a dozen things I had put off for a while out of laziness.

After everything was finished, my desktop started asking for credentials to access the shared drives on the HTPC each time I reboot the desktop. It used to remember my credentials, if I check the remember credentials box the first time I (ever) connected. The solution was to go into the Windows Credential Manager (on the desktop) and remove the existing credential for that HTPC server and put a new one in there ensuring the persistence was set to enterprise.

Maybe this helps someone...

jachin99

Disable homegroup? What would that achieve? Creating/joining a homegroup is what gave me back my browsing.

I will add that I've recently reinstalled every computer on my network with the latest win 10 pro (using the updates turns out to be not such a good idea), and all computers were able to be browsed without the homegroup. But using the homegroup is recommended by Microsoft for this situation. During my research, that came up, repeatedly. And also mentioned by TurOK.

I try to turn everything I don't need or use off on my machines because this makes troubleshooting easier, and because the computer is doing less work, it might even run a little quicker. I'm still testing my setup but I've disabled homegroup, AND SMB v1 (Which I believe is what network browsing uses to see other computers on the network). I can still share folders and stream media across my Windows 7 and 10 machines, and if something goes wrong I have fewer places to look so troubleshooting is a bit simpler. Not to mention all the vulnerabilities that come with SMB V1 are gone from all of my machines. I'll also add that Windows doesn't' need SMB to stream media across a network.

Edited by jachin99

Yea, I don't know that I would recommend turning all SMB off. There are some windows features that need at least a version of SMB enabled. I personally would disable SMBv1 and force SMB V2/v3 on.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

jachin99

Yea, I don't know that I would recommend turning all SMB off. There are some windows features that need at least a version of SMB enabled. I personally would disable SMBv1 and force SMB V2/v3 on.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

That's what I did

Swynol

anyone updated to 1709? i updated my main PC and now after removing windows.old folder alot of my applications have the error 0xc0000022  looks like its a known issue. so i recommend either not upgrading to 1709 or if you do dont remove teh windows.old folder.

PenkethBoy

I must be lucky then as i deleted my old version a month or so ago - 1709 stable for me

how did you delete the old folder?

the old folder gets deleted automatically after 10 dyas by windows anyway - IIRC

Edited by PenkethBoy

Guest asrequested

I reinstalled all of my machines with the latest build. Since doing that, everything is working really well. I'm not liking updating on top of an update. That was causing me some issues.