x-cimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:30 AM

Another chromecast issue thread here: https://emby.media/c...555#entry510314

All chromecast running 1.28.100555

That would make sense for me as this update came out at the end of october which is exactly when I started having issue.

and there is no way to flash back to the previous firmware :(

@Luke can you get your hand on that build? you might have to enable Preview Program mode.

Edited by x-cimo, 13 November 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#42 arche ONLINE  

arche

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 781 posts
  • Local time: 10:33 PM
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

Just a heads up, at least for me I just confirmed it is the 1.28.100555 build. Took a working Chromecast with the 1.27.96538 firmware, signed up for the preview firmware and installed it. Once the preview firmware was installed, having the issue with playing some mkv files. Now the only thing I can do is wait for another firmware update to fix these two dongles. Good thing they are only $35. Hopefully others will check and make sure they are not signed up for the preview version, seems to be hit or miss on who got it without being signed up.

#43 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131215 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Well done

#44 Saltyzip OFFLINE  

Saltyzip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

I assume the Chromecast preview version firmware will indeed become the production version at some future date, therefore I think we need emby to address the issue before many more users are effected, does that sound the way forward?

I don't have any issue with Plex, YouTube or Netflix, so I can only assume at the moment it's emby specific.

https://support.goog...124014?hl=en-GB

Edited by Saltyzip, 13 November 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#45 arche ONLINE  

arche

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 781 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

I removed plex, so I cannot test those mkv files through plex. I've only had the issues with certain mkv files on the preview firmware. Anything further than what I have done is above my pay grade.

#46 xsnipuhx OFFLINE  

xsnipuhx

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 09:33 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

I want to add to this, I was also getting this same issue with x265 codecs. I messaged my SO to get the chromecast versions that we are currently on. Would my logs be beneficial at all?

Edit: We have the affected OS version on both of our chromecast ultras.

Edit2: Our Chromecasts updated to the preview version and they are not enrolled in the preview program...

Edited by xsnipuhx, 13 November 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#47 x-cimo OFFLINE  

x-cimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

I assume the Chromecast preview version firmware will indeed become the production version at some future date, therefore I think we need emby to address the issue before many more users are effected, does that sound the way forward?

I don't have any issue with Plex, YouTube or Netflix, so I can only assume at the moment it's emby specific.

https://support.goog...124014?hl=en-GB

Since people not on the preview program are starting to get this firmware, I would tend to agree with you.  

If it's a emby issue, then everyone using chromecast will be affected soon.

BTW: I filed a bug to google on this.  In case it's a bug on their end..  You can do the same by right clicking the chromecast icon in chrome while casting. (not the one in the web ui, there is another one above in the browser).

#48 damian OFFLINE  

damian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 03:33 AM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:19 PM

I'm having issues playing some videos and hd pvr channels and only my chromecast appears to have the issues. PC or android plays fine. I also have fm 1.28.100555. Any fix?

#49 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131215 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:13 AM

Just do a google search, lots of apps are affected by the preview firmware:

https://productforum.../category$3Aios

https://github.com/x...tnow/issues/212

https://stackoverflo...a-with-firmware

https://community.ho...rsions/31320/10

Judging by some of their findings, it looks like a possible workaround is to limit to 2 channels when audio needs to be transcoded.

#50 mawazi OFFLINE  

mawazi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:15 AM

Wow. Google has intentionally removed support of AAC 5.1/Multichannel as of the new 1.28 firmware. Their suggestion is to use AAC stereo or AC3 or Opus. A fairly useless suggestion, unless we're all supposed to re-encode all of our AAC 5.1 audio. One of the whole reasons I use that codec is that it allows direct playing with Emby through the Chromecast. I started using Opus for new encodes, but that's only been the last few months. This decision seems short-sighted, and the fact that they still allow AAC stereo makes it even more confusing.

Luke, I did a test cast of a VP8/Opus webm file today, and it is transcoded to h264/mp3. Is that expected behavior? VP8/Opus/webm should be a direct play, correct?

Is there somewhere that I can see how Emby makes its decisions for the Chromecast Ultra? There must be a profile or something along those lines. Thanks.

Edited by mawazi, 15 November 2017 - 03:16 AM.

#51 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131215 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Why do you think it's intentional?

#52 xsnipuhx OFFLINE  

xsnipuhx

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

Wow. Google has intentionally removed support of AAC 5.1/Multichannel as of the new 1.28 firmware. Their suggestion is to use AAC stereo or AC3 or Opus. A fairly useless suggestion, unless we're all supposed to re-encode all of our AAC 5.1 audio. One of the whole reasons I use that codec is that it allows direct playing with Emby through the Chromecast. I started using Opus for new encodes, but that's only been the last few months. This decision seems short-sighted, and the fact that they still allow AAC stereo makes it even more confusing.

Luke, I did a test cast of a VP8/Opus webm file today, and it is transcoded to h264/mp3. Is that expected behavior? VP8/Opus/webm should be a direct play, correct?

Is there somewhere that I can see how Emby makes its decisions for the Chromecast Ultra? There must be a profile or something along those lines. Thanks.

Do you have a link for confirmation?

#53 damian OFFLINE  

damian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 03:33 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:32 PM

Why do you think it's intentional?

Hi Luke,

I found this on the official google issue tracker

"Status: Won't Fix (Intended Behavior)

Thanks for reporting the issue. We discarded support for 5.1 AAC & Multi-channel AAC streams for Gen 2 and Ultra devices from 1.28 onwards.

11-09 15:48:28.554  1145  1145 I cast_shell: [2604:2604:INFO:MediaSource.cpp(199)] addSourceBuffer this=0x28ead940 type="video/mp2t; codecs=\"avc1.4D401E,mp4a.40.2\"" -> 0x396b70b0

This is working as intended. We would recommend you to use either regular stereo (2-channel) AAC or AC3/EAC3 audio or 5.1 Opus audio stream or etc.

Do let us know if you need any other details.

Note: AAC is proprietary codec. Opus is free/open source"

The status of the issue in the issue tracker is "Won't Fix (Intended behavior)"

and the link to the exact issue is https://issuetracker...issues/69112577

Is there a way to force stereo for now in any setting or config?

#54 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131215 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

Very interesting, thanks.

#55 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131215 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

It will be interesting to see if this change also ends up making it's way to the Chrome browser.

#56 xsnipuhx OFFLINE  

xsnipuhx

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

If this is the case, will Emby know to transcode that in the future?

#57 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131215 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:50 PM

Yea obviously we will have to adjust the decision making on our Chromecast receiver to adapt to this.

That's what these preview firmware builds are for, to learn about these things with a smaller audience before everybody gets them.

• xsnipuhx likes this

#58 x-cimo OFFLINE  

x-cimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

I guess I was hit first because I am in the preview program...  oh well..  good job everyone.

Can't wait to get my chomecast back....  wife will be happy.

#59 arche ONLINE  

arche

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 781 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

I haven't seen anything, but wish google would have had a decent transparent changelog of the preview firmware instead of blindsiding most people. Definitely would have been alot less stressful to the Emby team and the users.

#60 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131215 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

I haven't seen anything, but wish google would have had a decent transparent changelog of the preview firmware instead of blindsiding most people. Definitely would have been alot less stressful to the Emby team and the users.

Well it's preview, they are assuming everyone in the preview is there for testing and not depending on it for stable daily usage. If you roll with that assumption then there's nothing really wrong with them putting out breaking changes with little notice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chromecast, ffmpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users