Transcoding and Subtitles

Borgi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hey there,

somehow I got some problems with transcoding and subtitles. I have two .mkv-files on my emby server to test everything.

The first one works without problems because it gets passed through, but the second one gets transcoded without subtitles.

Borh files have internal ASS subtitles and the same encoding. For a comparison I have added the mkvinfo files of both.

I can't get my head around why one gets transcoded and the other doesn't. Or even why the subtitles don't get burnt in while transcoding.

Regards

Borgi

mkvinfo Log 1.txt

mkvinfo Log 2.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-4a35c9dc-1ede-48ce-a80a-dc09c8e42e85.txt.txt

Hi.  The item transcoded due to its bitrate compared to the setting in the app and it doesn't appear that any subtitles were selected to display.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer.

Well for my user I set up as prefered language english with "Standard" and all complex subtitles.

On the server side I tried it with and without the "on-the-fly" option.

Is there some other option in the app I haven't seen, as I can't even access any subtitle option for the transcoded mkv.

If additional app log is need, I sent one as user "Patrick" at around 06:46 PM

Unfortunately not. I only have options for the bitrate (my user has Auto and it gets set to 20 Mb/s), Zoom and Playback Correction.

The only other two buttons are the Infobutton für series info and next track.

The info for the transcoded file above the timebar show "Trans/I", the other file shows 1080, Stereo and other media infos.

• Solution

The server doesn't have any media info for this file. Try using the web app to open up the detail screen. Then click the 3-dot menu -> refresh metadata. Then try to play again from the TV app. Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah that helped, thank you very much.  :)

Is there an option I can activate so that emby refreshes the metadata for every new file it gets with "Real-time monitoring"? Seems like it doesn't get it automatically when I moved the mkv from my machine to the server

It was already for more than 24 hours in the storage folder. Then there has to be another problem with my setup. I will try to figure it out the next days except you maybe already know a solution.

The way my files get to the storage is once per windows SMB share and once auto move from sonarr.

It sounds like there must have been an issue with the configured ffmpeg build at the time the content was initially imported. then later that issue was corrected and now those items need to be refreshed.

• Like 1

Okay I found the problem. One of my folders had some ACL problems and sonarr wasn't able to set the permissions for emby. Thank you Luke and  ebr