Roku channel exiting unecpectedly

Phr0stByte

Phr0stByte

First off, let me say I am digging this Emby A LOT! I am looking forward to paying for the extended features once I can get a small but annoying issue resolved though. Maybe someone here can assist. I am running the server on a Macbook, and the server side seems rock solid. The Roku channel on the other hand will exit randomly and go back the the Roku main menu. This seems to happen only after watching a couple TV episodes or one movie, and I start playing the next TV episode or movie. Its not a HUGE deal, as I can restart the Emby channel and resume right where I left off, but it is annoying. Not sure if it is the channel or the Roku. I have also seen video start with a grey screen and only hearing the audio one in a while. Also, once in a while, when loading video, the progress bar will go to the end and everything will just freeze there. Let it set like that for a long while and the Roku ends up rebooting. Anyone else experiencing this randomness?

Hi.  Let's start with which Roku box, which version of Roku firmware and which version of the Emby Roku app (displayed in settings page)?

Thanks.

Phr0stByte

Hi.  Let's start with which Roku box, which version of Roku firmware and which version of the Emby Roku app (displayed in settings page)?

Thanks.

Roku Model: 3100X - Roku 2 XS

Roku software version: 7.7.0 build 4135-02 (just did a factory reset on the Roku too).

Emby server version:  OS X 3.2.36.0 (I believe the server is fine, as it never crashes, and I have updated 3 or 4 times as the updates come out).

Edited by Phr0stByte

And the version of the Emby app on the Roku...?

It is displayed in the upper right during login or in the settings page for the app.

Phr0stByte

And the version of the Emby app on the Roku...?

It is displayed in the upper right during login or in the settings page for the app.

Sorry - I don't see a version anywhere for the Emby channel on the Roku. But shouldn't it be the latest automatically? 

Roku channel store says it is Version 3.0

Edited by Phr0stByte

From the home page, press the '*' button on your remote (or select the option on the bottom row labeled "Settings".  Now look in the upper right of the screen next to the time - what is that version?

Phr0stByte

From the home page, press the '*' button on your remote (or select the option on the bottom row labeled "Settings".  Now look in the upper right of the screen next to the time - what is that version?

3.0.50 - Sorry for the late reply. Just got home from work.

Edited by Phr0stByte

Do you have the "Debug options" turned on in the app?

If so, try turning them off and see if it makes a difference.

Phr0stByte

Do you have the "Debug options" turned on in the app?

If so, try turning them off and see if it makes a difference.

They are turned off (as default). I have not changed any of the default settings.

Edited by Phr0stByte

Okay, then I'm at a bit of a loss but a lot of strange problems have been reported with Roku FW 7.7.  Let's hope 8.0 helps.

Phr0stByte

Okay, then I'm at a bit of a loss but a lot of strange problems have been reported with Roku FW 7.7.  Let's hope 8.0 helps.

I am thinking the same, since I originally found out about Emby because Plex started having issues out of the blue.

Happy2Play

I am thinking the same, since I originally found out about Emby because Plex started having issues out of the blue.

Have you tried a manual update to see if you get the new firmware?  That is how I got my Roku to update.

Phr0stByte

Have you tried a manual update to see if you get the new firmware?  That is how I got my Roku to update.

Roku firmware is at the latest version - no update available. I guess I will just have to wait for version 8. I'm about to just trash the Roku and set a spare MacBook Pro up for streaming needs. I am surprised though that more people are not having this issue.