Shield reboot when playing some MKV files.

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I am sorry that this report will be inadequate I have had some major health problems and I do not have the energy to research as much as I should. 

I have some MKV files that direct play on all my devices,  Roku, Shield and Fire TV. On the Shield they will play fine for several minutes to as long as half an hour or even 45 minutes (sometimes even longer) and then suddenly the screen goes black and shortly afterwards the Shield will begin its reboot cycle.

Part of the weirdness is that the reboot is MUCH shorter than if you reboot from the menu or if you power cycle. By much faster I mean by a factor of 5 or more. 

I gave up trying to play those files on my Shield and played them on my Roku. At first I thought they played perfect but then I noticed that the picture exhibits breakups with artifacts and even slight skipping at the points where the Shield "might" reboot.. The files do play to completion on my Roku and I tested one on my Fire TV and it plays all the way through on it as well.

In this test I used the "Blue Neon Night" channel on my Roku.

I just wanted to report that this was happening. I do not really know what logs etc might help as I think the reboot clears all info.

Sounds like something in the stream the Shield video player simply cannot handle.

The difference on the other platforms is probably transcoding vs. not.  Try forcing the item to transcode on your Shield (by either lowering bitrate setting or using "Playback Correction...") and see if it plays through then.

Gilgamesh_48

Sounds like something in the stream the Shield video player simply cannot handle.

The difference on the other platforms is probably transcoding vs. not.  Try forcing the item to transcode on your Shield (by either lowering bitrate setting or using "Playback Correction...") and see if it plays through then.

Nope. All platforms are direct playing according to the server dashboard.Of course because it is MKV there are internals that could mean that one "direct play" does not mean the same as another "direct play."

I wish I felt well enough to investigate deeper because I think that "direct play" should mean exactly that and mt curiosity bump has been activated. 

BTW: The Roku involved is an Ultra that just got upgraded to firmware 8.0