Pause/Skip Forward

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I am not sure if this should be in the feature request forum but it's more specific to only the ATV app since I can do this action in Emby Theater already, on the Xbox One and on my tablet.

I have mentioned this in other threads but never brought it up as a thread in itself.

Basically I would like to be able to hit pause on the ATV app (specifically on the Shield since that is the only Android TV device I use) and NOT have the OSD come up and require me to then click down to the OSD skip forward button but rather just be able to hit the direction right button to skip forward or direction left button to skip back.

You can currently do this in Kodi and the Plex App.

Currently the only way to skip forward/back is to hit the select button or pause button (I use a Harmony remote which has a functional pause button) and have the OSD come up, then I have to hit the down direction button to go down to the icon for skipping, then start skipping and guess at where I might be based on the time increments rather than the paused images on the screen skipping forward each time to tell me where I am at in the video.

This is useful especially when you are skipping through commercials on a recorded show (which is 90% of my usage). 

*Please Luke, no comments about supporting my local businesses.  ;)

maegibbons

On a standard ATV remote pressing left and right whilst the video is playing skips back and forth correctly - you do not need to bring up the OSD.

Have you tried that?

Krs

Mark

jasonmcroy

On a standard ATV remote pressing left and right whilst the video is playing skips back and forth correctly - you do not need to bring up the OSD.

Have you tried that?

Krs

Mark

I have tried that and in the Emby ATV App that method is painfully slow for me. It takes anywhere from 10-15 seconds for it to advance forward or back when doing it that way.

In the Kodi, Plex or even the HDHomerun App doing that is also workable and super fast when doing it that way. 

Edit: By the way, that is with the video file direct playing, not being transcoded.

Edited by jasonmcroy

I have tried that and in the Emby ATV App that method is painfully slow for me. It takes anywhere from 10-15 seconds for it to advance forward or back when doing it that way.

In the Kodi, Plex or even the HDHomerun App doing that is also workable and super fast when doing it that way. 

Edit: By the way, that is with the video file direct playing, not being transcoded.

10-15 seconds when direct playing??  Are you sure about that?

I just tested and my NP skips in less than a second.

Also, if you have a remote with FF and Rew buttons those should work with the OSD up.

Edit: And, actually, I have just changed it in the next beta to skip immediately when direct playing so I'd be interested in how this performs for you.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

10-15 seconds when direct playing??  Are you sure about that?

I just tested and my NP skips in less than a second.

Also, if you have a remote with FF and Rew buttons those should work with the OSD up.

Edit: And, actually, I have just changed it in the next beta to skip immediately when direct playing so I'd be interested in how this performs for you.

Thanks @@ebr. I only had a chance tonight to do a few minutes of testing after updating the app but you're right, it's MUCH faster with the new change. Thanks!!!! That does help a lot.

I did a quick test as well with the FF and Rew buttons with the OSD up and it didn't do anything. However, there is a chance I remapped those two buttons on my Harmony One remote (using it with the Hub). I will have a little more time to play with it tomorrow and I will post back my results and I will play around more with the skipping in general.

Thanks again. Outside of absolute pause and skip this does make a big difference in my usage.

jasonmcroy

Ok, I had more time to test this out today and I am very impressed. 

I was correct that I had re-mapped the FWD and REW buttons. I changed it back to the correct setting and yes, it does skip forward like that with the OSD up.

However, I like the ability to skip forward without the OSD up using the directional buttons. Now that it's lightning fast it is very workable. It's like using the HDHomerun App now. 

Thanks for everyone's help and pointing out some things I didn't know about maneuvering around in the App. It's a much nicer experience now since playback has always been solid.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
ian.spencer

New Emby user.

I would like to skip with right and left buttons with Shield without pulling up OSD, it can come up when pressed that would be good but it is a multi step process, Im not used to that. Also would be great if you held down the forward or back button on shield if it could go into Fast forward and Rewind after a second or two.

Thanks.

sylvio2000

It would be even more useful if you could use additive skipping (like with Kodi): http://kodi.wiki/view/Skip_steps

If you only press the right directional key once it skips 10sec. But if you press it twice or more in a short time the skip steps will be bigger and bigger: +10 sec, +30 sec, +60 sec, +3 min, +5 min, +10 min, +30 min

Because nearly every (third party) remote has got directional keys, this would be a very useful feature for everyone :) 

Edited by sylvio2000

New Emby user.

I would like to skip with right and left buttons with Shield without pulling up OSD, it can come up when pressed that would be good but it is a multi step process, Im not used to that. Also would be great if you held down the forward or back button on shield if it could go into Fast forward and Rewind after a second or two.

Thanks.

Hi.  The app already supports this...

CBers

Do we really need the OSD displayed when FF/RW?

Would prefer it not, as it you want to FF/RW a bit, and put subs on for example, you have to close the progress bar before opening the full OSD.