Nvidia Shield questions

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

So as Christmas approaches, and I'm tired of the slow Roku stick in my living, I am thinking about getting a nvidia shield.

How is the emby app on it?

Also I have a bunch of video game roms stored on the server and would love to play these on this. So how hard is it to link emby app to the Emulators and launch the rom in the appropriate app?

• Like 1

mastrmind11

So as Christmas approaches, and I'm tired of the slow Roku stick in my living, I am thinking about getting a nvidia shield.

Also I have a bunch of video game roms stored on the server and would love to play these on this. So how hard is it to link emby app to the Emulators and launch the rom in the appropriate app?

It's the streamer of choice for pretty much all of us.  I (we) do Shield on main tv, Mi Box on other tvs for the most part.  Regarding emulation I can't say, but as far as the Emby app, I haven't used Kodi since I picked up the Shield.

Jdiesel

I use both Roku's and the Shield TV

Areas where the shield is clearly better:

1) Better audio format support

2) Fast TV guide navigation

3) More browsing/sorting views and options

4) Refresh rate switching

I also like the Roku for their simplicity but overall the Emby on the Shield TV is just better.

To answer your second question, simply put, I don't think it can be done. Get an SD card and put your roms on it. Spend the time to setup Hyperspin on it and you will be happy you did. It is simple to switch between apps on Android TV and Hyperspin is  an amazing frontend. 

http://hyperspin-fe.com/

Edited by Jdiesel

mediacowboy

Still looking for more response but another thought I had was to dig back out my Kangaroo PC and get it updated. What I like about this is that Theater has a built in or had a built in option to launch emulators with the roms residing on the server. Plus I can use a usb hub and have all the different retro remotes to to truly complete the NES, SNES, and N64 feel. Please keep the responses coming.

@@CBers, anything you can add?

Edited by mediacowboy

jasonmcroy

The ATV App works great for me. It's stable and reliable function-wise. My only issue with the App (and I must be the ONLY person who has this opinion) is that I can't pause a TV recording and then skip forward through the commercials. You can only do it via the OSD after clicking the select button and then hitting the skip forward button on the OSD itself. Other than than playback is smooth and easy.

I haven't used any emulator functions, but I do have Forza on my computer and I use the Stream function to play it on my Shield device from my computer. So if you have any need for that it's an option on the Shield as well.

I have two Shields now. The Pro is in the Living Room and I have the 16GB model in the bedroom.

BAlGaInTl

I love the Emby app on my Shield.

I would recommend it to anyone.  I don't think there is a better streaming device.

Can't say much about the emulation though.   I'm working on a Raspberry Pi for that.  :)

CBers

The ATV App works great for me. It's stable and reliable function-wise. My only issue with the App (and I must be the ONLY person who has this opinion) is that I can't pause a TV recording and then skip forward through the commercials. You can only do it via the OSD after clicking the select button and then hitting the skip forward button on the OSD itself. Other than than playback is smooth and easy.

@@jasonmcroy

Perhaps raise a separate thread for this and get it investigated.

• Like 1

mediacowboy

What about the HTPC industry?

Luke does the new theater support launching out her applications? If so the the kangaroo pc may fit the bill.