Hardware Failed - Emergency Rebuild Advice

BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

Well, it happened.  Just my luck...

My ASRock Rack C27504DI crapped the bed.

I've done all the troubleshooting I can, and I'm throwing in the towel.

I was considering upgrading to an 8th Gen i5, but they just aren't available yet.

I'm looking for some advice on getting the server back up quickly before the upgrade.

I have a Haswell i3-4340.  Is it worth finding an LGA 1150 board locally and putting it back together with that? I think I may have a bead on a MSI Z97 board locally that is still NIB for $30. (Craigslist) 

My server does double duty as a file (OMV) and Emby server.  The 8 cores of the ASRock were nice, but it suffered in transcoding.  I think maybe the i3 may actually handle it better since it supports Quick Sync.

Thoughts?

Guest asrequested

That iGPU won't handle transcoding, well. It's too old. It'll make you nuts trying to make it work. What do you have, laying around that's usable?

BAlGaInTl

I've got a E3-1271 v3 too.... but that's my desktop rig.  I would still need extra hardware to put it to use as my server.

I really just need something to get me by until 8th gen stuff is more available.

BAlGaInTl

Can you NAS your data store and put the server on your desktop?

It's not ideal since the desktop isn't currently hard-wired.  

My NAS is what failed which kind of sucks.  

Considering that 8th gen stuff is going for about the same price as 7th gen stuff, it seems a waste to get a i5-7700 when very shortly I can get 2 more cores for the same price.

We don't normally do more than one transcode at a time.  Maybe 2 if we are both streaming remotely at the same time.

Guest asrequested

Well, you can either run a cable to your desktop and mount the drives somewhere, or spend more than you want. I'm just about to attempt my second threadripper build. I had the motherboard, replaced. I'm really hoping the CPU isn't defective.

BAlGaInTl

Well, you can either run a cable to your desktop and mount the drives somewhere, or spend more than you want. I'm just about to attempt my second threadripper build. I had the motherboard, replaced. I'm really hoping the CPU isn't defective.

I'm not against spending money...  :) but I do like trying to find a deal.

I haven't even considered Threadripper...

Mostly because I'm always using Linux and Intel just seems to have better compatibility. 

Guest asrequested

I'm not against spending money...  :) but I do like trying to find a deal.

I haven't even considered Threadripper...

Mostly because I'm always using Linux and Intel just seems to have better compatibility. 

I've been using an i7 6700k in my main server. I've always liked the idea of HWA. But I have since come to the conclusion that using the CPU is better. More stable and arguably better quality. I haven't used an AMD in many years, but the Threadripper caught my attention. 12 cores, 24 threads. Great for server. Not cheap, though.

BAlGaInTl

Okay...

I also have an old Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Probably not worth the effort.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

If this is only for your server, look at the Ryzen CPUs. 

Things are looking good, with mine. It's booting to the BIOS and I've been able to update the BIOS :)

BAlGaInTl

If this is only for your server, look at the Ryzen CPUs. 

Things are looking good, with mine. It's booting to the BIOS and I've been able to update the BIOS :)

See, I think just the opposite.  I like the proven compatibility/stability that comes with Intel for the server.

Seems that at the $200 CPU price point, the 6 core Ryzen (1600) and 6 core i5 (i5-8400) are going to be similar. Although you do get twice the threads with the AMD I believe.

I'm also looking for efficiency in a 24/7 machine, so I'm not crazy about the higher TDP of the Threadripper. 

And then you have server grade hardware...  I like to have dual LAN and IPMI.  I'm not aware of any server class AM4 motherboards that provide that really.  Do you know of any? There are a lot of LGA 1151 offerings.   

I'll have to research the compatibility of the Ryzen platform with Debian and OMV.  I'm not ruling it out.

Guest asrequested

I doubt you want a threadripper. It's a power hungry beast. As for dual LAN, gigabyte has one, but you can always use a NIC. One major attribute that I like about the threadripper is it has something like 66 PCIe lanes, I have 5 PCIe slots.

Edited by Doofus

BAlGaInTl

I found an open box Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O and I'm considering it and flashing the LSI 2308 to IT mode. 

Then I would move my E3 over and worry about upgrading my desktop.  I'm more open to AMD on my desktop than my server really.

That would give me everything I want and should handle my light transcoding.

Then I could look at getting a R7 1700 or something to upgrade my desktop.

ETA: This means I can re-purpose all my ram, cooling, etc., which would be a significant savings.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

Sounds like a good plan.

It's funny that I'm willing to sacrifice my desktop before my server.

I NEED my server. 

:)

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

Just an update...

I ordered the MB and it should be here next week.

In the meantime, I took @ 's advice and installed the server on my Desktop machine.  Mainly, I wanted to make sure that I was able to record my live TV last night.  Thursday is a big night.

The only hiccup was getting the guide data because the Schedules Direct JSON server was down... I had to grab a copy of mc2xml to get the data and use the XMLTV feature of Emby.

I was pretty surprised at the results.  Even though the computer is not hardwired, it did a better job than my old server.  It was able to record 4 shows on 2 different channels without a hiccup.  I'm even able to direct stream those recordings back to my Shield TV.  If nothing else, I would say that the mesh network I have setup is effective.

I'm going to use this opportunity to continue my budget rack build.  We'll see how it goes.

BAlGaInTl

Got the MB and resurrected my server.

It doesn't like my boot drive in the hot swap bay for some reason and is particular on the RAM it uses. 

Transcoding is MUCH better... even though my old CPU should have been able to handle it... looking at the logs, the transcoding on the Xeon is about 4-6 times faster when compared to my old server.

Right now, Everything is open on the floor as I button it up.  Hopefully I will be able to move it all in to a rack soon. 

BAlGaInTl

Nice! So what are you using for your desktop?

I'm still undecided.

Right now, I put the left-over Core i3 in it.  That will get me by until I upgrade.  I'm researching now, but I'll probably be looking for a deal over the holiday.