Videos not playing since version 3.2.35.0 update

MrJames

I appear to have a similar/same problem.

Since the install, I have about a dozen log files, so I'll include them upon request.

In kodi (my usual front end) the videos won't play.  It throws an error saying to check the log. (using emby for kodi)

In the web interface, (http://localhost:8096/web/home.html) none of the videos show up at all.

Do you think I am also having your problem?

edit: using ubuntu 17.10 along with Emby Version 3.2.35.0

Edited by bric

I appear to have a similar/same problem.

Since the install, I have about a dozen log files, so I'll include them upon request.

In kodi (my usual front end) the videos won't play.  It throws an error saying to check the log. (using emby for kodi)

In the web interface, (http://localhost:8096/web/home.html) none of the videos show up at all.

Do you think I am also having your problem?

edit: using ubuntu 17.10 along with Emby Version 3.2.35.0

@@bric, please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Here are the server logs.  I deleted all logs (there were lots...over 20), then loaded the web interface front-end in the browser, waited 2-3 minutes: 3 logs generated.

server-63645163710.txt

server-63645163775.txt

server-63645163840.txt

I did not stop/start or restart before getting these logs.  I had been in the admin web interface and had tried to rescan the library... It did not appear to work (usually only takes 3-4 min and I can watch the progress bar to completion). Other than that, should be automated processes at work I imagine.

Thanks.

I figured out part of my issue. The video files that I was trying to play had become corrupt. When I tried to play the video file in another player it would not play there either. I received an error that the the video could not be rendered in MPC-HC. I still have the original file that I started with so some place after i dropped the video into my "Auto-Organize" location and the file was moved to it's correct storage folder on my NAS the file became corrupt. I went thru 10 or 15 TV show folders and found quite a few files that were also corrupt. Seemed very random, many files corrupt many are fine. For my issue I'm not sure where to go from here. Is it possible that something in the "Auto-Organize" plugin is corrupting files? Not sure how I could even test that seeing how random my issue is.

With more details I can see that I was hijacking your post.  My apologies.

We have different issues.  The upgrade might (probably?) have been entirely incidental.

Hopefully, Luke will have some ideas for you.

Have you found any that you can play from the filesystem that are not corrupted?

Well, I have no experience of worth offering, so maybe I'll stop that thought there.  I don't even use the Auto-Organize plugin.

Good luck.

I figured out part of my issue. The video files that I was trying to play had become corrupt. When I tried to play the video file in another player it would not play there either. I received an error that the the video could not be rendered in MPC-HC. I still have the original file that I started with so some place after i dropped the video into my "Auto-Organize" location and the file was moved to it's correct storage folder on my NAS the file became corrupt. I went thru 10 or 15 TV show folders and found quite a few files that were also corrupt. Seemed very random, many files corrupt many are fine. For my issue I'm not sure where to go from here. Is it possible that something in the "Auto-Organize" plugin is corrupting files? Not sure how I could even test that seeing how random my issue is.

Thanks, that's good info because I went looking for a problem that I don't think exists. Notice the response headers reporting negative content length sizes:

RangeRequest: bytes=1075314838- Content-Length: -15270038, Content-Range: bytes 1075314838-1060044799/1060044800

A corrupt file could definitely cause that.

As far as auto-organize goes, I'm not really sure. Is it possible a large file was being copied into the watch folder, and then auto-organize organized it before that copy process was complete? This is a plausible scenario because i think by default the plugin will actually copy the file first, then delete the original after. The copy operation might actually succeed on a partial file.

Here are the server logs.  I deleted all logs (there were lots...over 20), then loaded the web interface front-end in the browser, waited 2-3 minutes: 3 logs generated.

attachicon.gifserver-63645163710.txt

attachicon.gifserver-63645163775.txt

attachicon.gifserver-63645163840.txt

I did not stop/start or restart before getting these logs.  I had been in the admin web interface and had tried to rescan the library... It did not appear to work (usually only takes 3-4 min and I can watch the progress bar to completion). Other than that, should be automated processes at work I imagine.

Thanks.

I don't see any playback attempts here. I will need to see the ones from the time frame in which you attempted playback. Thanks.

Thanks, that's good info because I went looking for a problem that I don't think exists. Notice the response headers reporting negative content length sizes:

RangeRequest: bytes=1075314838- Content-Length: -15270038, Content-Range: bytes 1075314838-1060044799/1060044800

A corrupt file could definitely cause that.

As far as auto-organize goes, I'm not really sure. Is it possible a large file was being copied into the watch folder, and then auto-organize organized it before that copy process was complete? This is a plausible scenario because i think by default the plugin will actually copy the file first, then delete the original after. The copy operation might actually succeed on a partial file.

All my TV recordings are processed in MP4 and a normal hour long show is generally about 1GB in size. I have verified that the file(s) that I copied into my auto organize watch folder work before they get sorted. I like that it puts everything in it's proper place and I really don't have to think about it. I do some very standard file renaming that honestly doesn't really change much from the original file (%sn - S%0sE%0e - %en.%ext). I suppose EMBY could be trying to move a partial file while I am moving things to the "watch" folder. I know the original task for that used to check that folder every .08 min or something odd like that. I changed that long ago to just check every 4 hours. So, moving partial files doesn't seem to fit as often as it seems to happen.  I am fairly new to running EMBY on a Ubuntu server and I suspect that due to my lack of experience with the OS that could be part of my issue. I have EMBY watching "/home/emby/ES_mnt01/AutoOrganize" which is a mount point on my NAS. Are there any logs done when the auto organize feature runs that might help here? I sort of looked but didn't see anything.

Thanks for all the help...

Also... This may have been going on longer that just the 3.2.35.0 update. Very possible that I just didn't notice these corrupt files till recently.

dcrdev

Is it your actual media that's corrupted, or your database?

If the latter - mine too, can't really explain it.

Pretty sure the DB is fine. I'll explain my new TV episode process. I record my shows on a Window's 10 box. Then copy the file into the my auto organize folder. Auto organize corrects the file name and sorts accordingly. I still had some of the files that i originally copied into the auto organize folder in my recycle bin. I restored them and opened those files with MPC-HC and the worked fine. So somewhere in the process the EMBY server moves the file from the auto organize watch folder to the final storage location (all these locations are on my NAS) the file is being corrupted.

I have made some changes to the auto organize folder to not move the file just copy. going to see if the file still gets corrupted. If it does I'll still have both copies to play with.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a Ubuntu server issue. I've used EMBY for years now but just in the last 6 month's or so moved to Ubuntu instead of a WIndows EMBY server. My skills in WIndows are far better but like the far smaller footprint the EMBY Ubuntu server takes.

mastrmind11

What happens if you copy the auto-organized file somewhere else and try to play it w/ VLC or some other player?  What happens if you try to play the auto-organized file w/ VLC from it's final destination?

Actually i think what you might want to do is set the auto-organize transfer method to Move instead of Copy. Reason being the move will fail is the file is still being written to by another process. So that will allow the organize to fail and then it will just try again next time.

I don't see any playback attempts here. I will need to see the ones from the time frame in which you attempted playback. Thanks.

For the sake of completeness: I removed emby ('sudo apt-get purge emby-server'), restored a backup and rescanned the library.  This solved all my problems.  Thanks for your time.

What happens if you copy the auto-organized file somewhere else and try to play it w/ VLC or some other player?  What happens if you try to play the auto-organized file w/ VLC from it's final destination?

Same as I mentioned above. I received an error that the video could not be rendered in MPC-HC

Actually i think what you might want to do is set the auto-organize transfer method to Move instead of Copy. Reason being the move will fail is the file is still being written to by another process. So that will allow the organize to fail and then it will just try again next time.

I've always had it set to Move in the past. I really don't want to keep a bunch of "extra" copies if I don't need them but figured maybe "Copy" would also fail if the file is still being written to by another process. Then if the copy failed I would have a backup still if I needed it. I suppose I could always keep spare files else were but keeping duplicate data isn't very efficient. Figuring out what is causing the corruption is proving difficult to pin point.

figured maybe "Copy" would also fail if the file is still being written to by another process. 

It might, it might not. It really could vary per operating system and file system. Technically, if the file is locked for write access but is still allowing read access, then I would expect the copy operation to succeed and copy whatever data is available at the time. But of course this could vary per environment. Move on the other hand will most definitely fail if the file is locked.

Looks like my issue was something on my NAS. I attempted to move known good files to my NAS manually myself and still had issues with the file becoming corrupt. So not really knowing what to do I rebooted my NAS (it had been up without a reboot or anything for nearly 6 months) and now the last 20 or 30 files I've used the auto organize plugin on have gone thru fine, no issues. I'm really confused what on my NAS could have been causing this that a reboot would fix. I'll continue to monitor for a while longer but I'm thinking I'm OK now.

Edited by MrJames