Ubuntu 16.04 - Too many open files

horstepipe

horstepipe

Hey

Since server version 3.2.55 (I think) I’m sometimes getting the error

‘too many open files’

When trying to access the WebGUI.

As I’m still running the mono version and the net core version is declared as stable now, I’d like to know if you still look into it/fixing bugs for it before I provide logs @@Luke

horstepipe

ok @@Luke here is the log anyway.

I hope you'll take a look at it as I'm forced to stay with mono until there's a safe way to migrate to .net core.

horstepipe

See if you can update to mono 4.8.1 as that might help. thanks.

Thank you,

I‘m on 5.4.0 now hope that is ok, too?

Emby Server starts, will see if it helped.

Best regards

horstepipe

That's not OK actually. 4.8.1 is our highest supported version.

Mhh ok then I need to find out how to specify an older version. I followed the update instructions on the mono homepage for Ubuntu 16.04.

i would suggest installing the .net core package. You asked if the transition would be perfect. It is hard to say that it will be perfect but i think generally speaking you will be fine.

horstepipe

i would suggest installing the .net core package. You asked if the transition would be perfect. It is hard to say that it will be perfect but i think generally speaking you will be fine.

My main concern is that my database persists, because there‘s a lot of custom nfo/fanart in it, and I don‘t (and won’t) save these with my media files.

So I‘m willing to try the net core package, I‘ll create a full backup of my current setup.

But I‘m still quite confused what I have to do for a transition. Is there a guide I don’t see?

On your homepage I just see

dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.2.36.0_amd64.deb

which of my understanding will provide me a new/clean installation of the net core server. But I can’t find instructions for the migration/transition

it will use the same program data folder so the only thing you should need to do is install the .deb. but since you have the ability to take a backup, might as well do that first.

• Like 1

dcrdev

@@Luke if the deb is anything like the rpm, then it will not use the same data folder.

Mono package used /var/lib/emby-server

Core package uses /var/lib/emby

The database file also references full paths - so you'd be better off using the backup plugin.

horstepipe

@@Luke if the deb is anything like the rpm, then it will not use the same data folder.

Mono package used /var/lib/emby-server

Core package uses /var/lib/emby

The database file also references full paths - so you'd be better off using the backup plugin.

but the backup plugin doesn't store the database and metadata afaik...?