Been a busy couple of days

JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

Wow it's been a busy couple of day's for me.I think my wife is ready to divorce me lol  Anyways in the past few days I added a 14 drive Fibre Channel SAN enclosure to my main video server at home, Have a few drives in it now, will be adding more as time goes on.  This let me decommission my other file server and move everything to a single server (that oughta save me some money on electricity lol)  Then I picked up a Ceton InfiniTV4 last night and got that all setup.  I'm thinking I probably shouldn't touch a computer in my wifes presence for a while :) 

pd veeps

Wow it's been a busy couple of day's for me.I think my wife is ready to divorce me lol Anyways in the past few days I added a 14 drive Fibre Channel SAN enclosure to my main video server at home, Have a few drives in it now, will be adding more as time goes on. This let me decommission my other file server and move everything to a single server (that oughta save me some money on electricity lol) Then I picked up a Ceton InfiniTV4 last night and got that all setup. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't touch a computer in my wifes presence for a while :)

Did she tell you "you love your computer more than me" haha.

Mb3 and htpcs are addicting

sinjen

Wow it's been a busy couple of day's for me.I think my wife is ready to divorce me lol  Anyways in the past few days I added a 14 drive Fibre Channel SAN enclosure to my main video server at home, Have a few drives in it now, will be adding more as time goes on.  This let me decommission my other file server and move everything to a single server (that oughta save me some money on electricity lol)  Then I picked up a Ceton InfiniTV4 last night and got that all setup.  I'm thinking I probably shouldn't touch a computer in my wifes presence for a while :)

Fibre channel in the home? That's hard core dude...

JeremyFr79

Fibre channel in the home? That's hard core dude...

I got an insanely great deal on it so couldn't resist.  Now that it's all up and running its pretty sweet.  I finally have our home to one "box" per T.V. for everything which is awesome! tv, music, movies, games, everything on one box.

JeremyFr79

Did she tell you "you love your computer more than me" haha.

Mb3 and htpcs are addicting

yes they are, she know's I do it all to make her life simpler and more happy :)

JeremyFr79

So this is my home Media Browser Backend.

Dell PE1950 Gen3 - My PFSense Gateway Firewall

HP DL140G2 - Domain Controller and DNS Server

HP DL320G5P - Former File Server now retired

Super MIcro Server and NetApp FC Diskshelf - File Server and MB3 Backend.  Currently at 14TB of storage, now that the diskshelf is up and running, I'll be filling it with 2TB drives as money allows.  This is feeding through a 2Gbps bonded link into the main home network, all clients are on 1Gbps connections that are capable of such.

Overboard? nah not by a longshot!  Also not pictured (at least not fully) is the 6750 KVA of UPS systems and the 50Amps of dedicated circuits :)531f5e8a34f08_20140225_164103.jpg

• Like 1

Rowlett

wow! complete contrast from my setup - wish my better half would allow me space like that! because all i get is a space in the TV unit lol! maybe i should say "i'd love you more if i could have that" **points at JeremyFr79's setup**

531f7c0fa7817_Setup.jpg

My Setup:

Fractal Node 304 Mini ITX

ASRock Z87E-ITX

Intel i7 4770K

16GB Kingston Beast Series 2400MHZ RAM

256 Samsung 840 Pro SSD (OS - Windows Server 2012 R2 with Essentials & Desktop Experience Enabled)

5 x 4TB WD Red

MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr OC 2GB GDDR5 (For Light Gaming)

Running MB3 (Ofcourse!) Domain, DHCP, DNS, IIS etc... etc...

Best i could do with space restrictions and can't complain get 7-8 full 1080p streams out of it before it thinks about breaking a sweat.

JeremyFr79

wow! complete contrast from my setup - wish my better half would allow me space like that! because all i get is a space in the TV unit lol! maybe i should say "i'd love you more if i could have that" **points at JeremyFr79's setup**

531f7c0fa7817_Setup.jpg

My Setup:

Fractal Node 304 Mini ITX

ASRock Z87E-ITX

Intel i7 4770K

16GB Kingston Beast Series 2400MHZ RAM

256 Samsung 840 Pro SSD (OS - Windows Server 2012 R2 with Essentials & Desktop Experience Enabled)

5 x 4TB WD Red

MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr OC 2GB GDDR5 (For Light Gaming)

Running MB3 (Ofcourse!) Domain, DHCP, DNS, IIS etc... etc...

Best i could do with space restrictions and can't complain get 7-8 full 1080p streams out of it before it thinks about breaking a sweat.

As the old saying goes "it's not about the size it's how you use it" lol, but seriously I work in I.T. by trade so my setup act's in a way as a mini lab at home as well for different things I want to play around with.  This is all down in our basement in my "shop" area which butt's up against our dedicated theater room. I buy a lot my of gear surplus from a supplier here in the Seattle area so money invested is actually quite low overall (until you get into the theater room)  Some is out of neccessity, for instance my firewall/gateway came out of necessity because normal consumer routers weren't cutting it with my connection (125Mbps down/25up) even with a gigabit router I was capping at around 90 or so on my downstream and that was running DD-WRT on a high end consumer router.  I now get sustained 125 with peaks in the 130-140 range and no hiccups and it's a much more robust and secure gateway.  As for the rest of the setup i.e. the main server it too came out necessity as our home data storage needs grew.  Just documents and pictures alone is 140GB that's the only important stuff really, that's on mirrored drives and backed up offsite in real time to 2 offsite backup services.  Everything else is music, movies and t.v.  Needless to say we go to the theater 2 or 3 times a year.  I suppose I could go on and on lol.

The only other thing you don't see in that pic is my home surveillance system which has 4tb of dedicated storage.

I will say it is nice to have a wife that understands and doesn't mind (usually) I've just realized that in order to buy "toys" I have to show her the "worth" i.e. how will it make our lives simpler, better, etc.  Once I do that it's pretty easy sailing lol

Edited by JeremyFr79

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
JeremyFr79

Wow... How much do you spend on electricity per month???

To be honest, not a whole lot, the city I live in runs there own power company and most comes from hydroelectric, I pay around $.08 per KWH, The servers cost me around $20 a month if that to run, Actual line draw for the stack is around 750-800watt's during normal usage, mind you that can jump under full loading to about 2000 watt's but it's rare that anything hits full load.

Edited by JeremyFr79