Idea's for a pi build emby

tdiguy

I was thinking a bit about this ( happens when i have a 12 hour workday and literally no work to do ) I figured over here would be more appropriate because its just a thought i am having about this but it would be interesting to see what others think and maybe some time in the distant future it can be worked on.

I was thinking with what i have seen on the pi3 anyway and what is available with some adjustments a emby build for the pi could actually run smooth even for transcoding live tv.

User end requirements:

pi3 ( of course )

externally powered usb hard drive

pi configured to boot off said hard drive ( very easy to do now )

mp2 license from raspberry pi and of course config the pi to use it (3$ i think)

hdhomerun or other similar adapter

Emby tweeks:

ability to use custom ffmpeg build ( ideally to allow ease of use / experimentation )

ability to toggle ffmpeg to use libfdk_aac or libmp3lame audio encoders in the transcoding section ( pretty much only needed in transcoding since if we are recording we dont have to worry much about cpu load / fps )

ability to use mmal mpeg 2 hardware acceleration

ability to use h264omx hardware acceleration

Yes i know much of this likely exists and kudo's to the emby team for having so much of this already available.

Creating this build more as a portable package would likely save some headaches for installs. Directions to custom compile ffmpeg seem to be everywhere. 

Of course one big variable that i don't know much about is how much demand there would be for this. From what i see in the hardware build thread it seems like a lot of people have pretty intense builds hardware wise. Course maybe this sort of build could be used as a selling point against plex :) plex technically can run on a pi, but it sucks, i first built plex on my pi before i came to emby. Plex also does not support true live tv.

My reasoning for the options for libfdk_aac and libmp3lame being in the transcoding section on the admin side is simply because its on a pi which has limited resources.

Please feel free to comment with your thoughts and keep in mind this would be a build targeted very specifically at a pi3 likely running raspbian ( after all if you make a build for a specific board why not target the supported OS from the board maker right? )