Dish Network Hopper

Mopar_Mudder

Mopar_Mudder

Seems that Emby quit showing up on my Hopper and Joeys a long time ago. I figured maybe some day it would get fixed but it hasn't. Can anyone confirm if Emby is working on the Hopper?

Ace_Scorcher

The Hopper has been messed up for DLNA since Dish pushed out the update back in March or April. At first it sort of worked, but the video only displayed in a small window in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Now mine will barely display the library, and videos won't play at all. After attempting to play a video, it will often stay black when trying to watch a regular TV channel.

Dish really screwed this up. They took a perfectly functioning product and turned it into junk. The new software is sluggish and no longer reliable. 

Mopar_Mudder

I have had no issues with my Hopper or Joey's being sluggish, haven't noticed any changes. If it is an update that broke it I wonder if it just something that needs to be changed on Embys end to work with it.

Does Emby show up under your "Home Media"? Because it does not show up under mine like it use to.

Edited by Mopar_Mudder

Ace_Scorcher

The update brought the Hopper 1 and Hopper with sling up to the Hopper 3 interface. The Hopper 3 has had DLNA issues since January at least. The update basically rendered the Hopper 1 unusable, my Hopper with sling is still useable but there is a delay when trying to do anything. The Hopper 3 has the horsepower to actually run the new interface, it's the one they developed it on.

I can see the emby server on mine, and I can see my library, though it is somewhat incomplete  and often some images won't load. It just won't play. I can probably get some logs together if it will help. I just am not sure it is an issue with emby. 

Before the Dish update, my emby server worked great with the Hopper.

Edited by Ace_Scorcher

Before the Dish update, my emby server worked great with the Hopper.

That's good information, thanks.

Mopar_Mudder

Just checked and it is not on the Joey either. I can play a movie to the Hopper from the Android app on my phone, but it only played for about 5 seconds and then froze up.

Ace_Scorcher

Looks like User-Agent might have changed, at least for the Hopper with sling. Here is a 15 minute section of log around where I attempted to play a movie (50 First Dates). The emby server (3.2.36.0) is running in a jail on Freenas 9.10.2 with all ports up to date as of today.  

emby_hopper.log

When you use the server's Play To feature, the upnp attributes will be utilized for detection, and those are currently

Manufacturer = "Echostar Technologies LLC",
                ManufacturerUrl = "http://www.echostar.com",

When you browse directly from the device, the dish hopper profile is configured to look for this substring in the user agent:

Zip_

Without this, it will most likely use the default profile which will try to direct play everything. 

Ace_Scorcher

So I have a couple questions. When adding a new User-agent substring to the profile, are they processed as an "or" or an "and"? So in other words can I add an entry with "User-agent: XiP_" and the Hopper profile will match either the existing "User-agent: Zip_" OR "User-agent: XiP_" ? 

Also, when I add the new match, the profile doesn't update in the web gui. I can go to the file system and see that my updated profile exists in /var/db/emby-server/config/dlna/user but I think the one the gui is displaying is from  /var/db/emby-server/config/dlna/system which does not contain my changes. I am updating the profile through the gui. How do I know which profile the server will use? 

Happy2Play

So I have a couple questions. When adding a new User-agent substring to the profile, are they processed as an "or" or an "and"? So in other words can I add an entry with "User-agent: XiP_" and the Hopper profile will match either the existing "User-agent: Zip_" OR "User-agent: XiP_" ? 

Also, when I add the new match, the profile doesn't update in the web gui. I can go to the file system and see that my updated profile exists in /var/db/emby-server/config/dlna/user but I think the one the gui is displaying is from  /var/db/emby-server/config/dlna/system which does not contain my changes. I am updating the profile through the gui. How do I know which profile the server will use? 

In the UI you have Custom Profiles then System Profiles.  All custom profiles reside in server/config/dlna/user and system profiles reside in server/config/dlna/system.

Anytime you edit a system profile via the ui it is saved to user folder.  You cannot modify any profile in system folder as they reset to default values.

• 1 month later...

Without having a hopper for testing i'm not quite sure. Are you trying to force something to transcode, or are you trying to avoid transcoding?

If you're trying to avoid it then maybe we could just delete the profile altogether and use the default, which is designed to direct play everything.