DTS Icon Not Showing Up on Some Movies

Scott750

Scott750

I've ripped my movies using Clonedvd and selected only DTS/6 for the audio. InMBC some s display the DTS 5.1 icons at the bottom right of the window and some do not. When I play the movies my AVR displays DTS so I know the audio was ripped properly. Where does MBC find the audio information that it displays? And can it be added manually?

Here's an example of the DTS and 5.1 icons being displayed at the bottom right of the screen.

DTS_zps10694fba.png

And here's a movie that also plays DTS correctly but doesn't display the icons, it just shows DVD only.

NoDTS_zps1b7b4646.png

Yogi

Try refreshing the title,mine does that sometimes as well but ctrl-w on the keyboard or the record button on the remote will do a refresh

Scott750

Ctrl-W only toggles Watched and Unwatched, and clicking the record button didn't do anything.

Yogi

Ctrl-W only toggles Watched and Unwatched, and clicking the record button didn't do anything.

Sorry should have said ctrl-r,refresh on the movie and see what happens.

Scott750

I also noticed no chapter info too. It also doesn't give me a resume button after watching some of the movie.

Heres a screenshot of Evolution. It does show DTS.

DTS_check_zps6b1b15b2.png

Bring the item up in the web client and refresh it there.

Our ability to extract all information from DVD rips is limited by the technology we use.  Some will work, some won't.  If you are re-ripping your whole library right now, I suggest a different container than video_ts like mkv.

Scott750

By refreshing in the web client are you meaning click on the movie then edit and select Refresh all data? If so I did that and no change.

Im not re-ripping my movies but ripping them for the first time. I've done 450 out 600 so far. I can start ripping them as mkv's from now on but hopefully I don't have to start all over. Unless the mkv format is more "future proof" than Video_TS? If that's the case I'd start over.

If the refresh didn't work then we simply cannot read that information from that title.  There are probably errors in the log stating such.

Mkv is definitely more future proof than video_ts.

Scott750

Does the Roku or Android mb3 clients have any issues playing mkv files?

Mkv is just a container.  The playback capability will depend on the actual video and audio codecs within it.  If you are talking DVDs with normal mpeg streams then, they should play fine.

dansblackcat

I still have the same issue with mkv files, it doesn't seem to matter what format I have I just randomly get no icon.  

I have to refresh the movie and they appear.  

Also the refreshing with the record button wont do anything if you enter the movie title via the EHS screen (well it doesn't for me anyway).  I have to go into my 'movies' directory and scroll to the title and then press record on the folder/cover.

Edited by dansblackcat

I still have the same issue with mkv files, it doesn't seem to matter what format I have I just randomly get no icon.  

I have to refresh the movie and they appear.  

Also the refreshing with the record button wont do anything if you enter the movie title via the EHS screen (well it doesn't for me anyway).  I have to go into my 'movies' directory and scroll to the title and then press record on the folder/cover.

This can happen if the MB server discovers your new item before you have fully finished copying or ripping it to the file system.  So, at the time the probe for information is done, the file is incomplete and we cannot read it.

dansblackcat

This can happen if the MB server discovers your new item before you have fully finished copying or ripping it to the file system.  So, at the time the probe for information is done, the file is incomplete and we cannot read it.

Ah so that would explain why I only see the issue with larger (2-4gb) movies and never with a 350mb TV episode?

This is one of the reasons I was sad to see the refresh button removed from Chocolate.

Is there any way to delay adding a new item until it has completed being copied?  I use Metabrowser and it waits until the file is done copying.

We have increased our delay and we do attempt to watch the file system and wait but that doesn't always work.

You can still refresh from any view other than the detail screen in Chocolate.

GhostRider

Scott750, maybe worth an experiment with your existing Video_TS files.

Meta<Browser/> has a free trial period and it can use MediaInfo as a plug-in to add extra info to the movie XML file.

Maybe worth a quick test - make a copy of one Video_TS file, use Meta<Browser/> and MediaInfo together to generate a movie.xml file.

Can MediaBrowser 3 now add the icons OKs?

Scott750

Sorry the long delay in replying. I actually found a way to make the icons appear. I just delete the movie.xml file, refresh the metadata in MBS and everything appears as normal like the Day After Tomorrow picture at the top. 

NoDTS-2_zps54b6a1f3.png

Although it's only showing Dolby Digital 5.1 as audio. I chose both DTS & DD 5.1, guess DD 5.1 was the 1st audio listed and only gets displayed.

Edited by Scott750

dansblackcat

Sorry the long delay in replying. I actually found a way to make the icons appear. I just delete the movie.xml file, refresh the metadata in MBS and everything appears as normal like the Day After Tomorrow picture at the top. 

NoDTS-2_zps54b6a1f3.png

Although it's only showing Dolby Digital 5.1 as audio. I chose both DTS & DD 5.1, guess DD 5.1 was the 1st audio listed and only gets displayed.

You can use MKVMerge to remove the DD5.1 and just leave the DTS.  MB3 should then display the DTS icon.

I do this all the time as I prefer DTS to DD.  It's also a good way to reduce the file size by not doubling up on unnecessary audio tracks.

If you want to keep both then you might be able to use MKVMerge to rearrange the order of the audio tracks putting DTS above DD.  This can be done for sure but whether it will make a difference to the icons in MB3 I can't say.

Edited by dansblackcat

Yes, rearranging should make a difference.  We should be showing the information from the first audio track.  I don't want to expand it to show all the audio tracks because the icons could get out of hand in a big hurry.

Scott750

Instead of rearranging the audio tracks, any way to add an option for the user to select a preference which audio tracks are shown?

It will show the primary one which is also the one that will be played. Since we don't have any control over the one that will be played this makes the most sense.  You are seeing the track that will play by default.

pd veeps

You can use MKVMerge to remove the DD5.1 and just leave the DTS. MB3 should then display the DTS icon.

I do this all the time as I prefer DTS to DD. It's also a good way to reduce the file size by not doubling up on unnecessary audio tracks.

If you want to keep both then you might be able to use MKVMerge to rearrange the order of the audio tracks putting DTS above DD. This can be done for sure but whether it will make a difference to the icons in MB3 I can't say.

I did the same to my library. I used mkvmerge and removed all but the dts or the highest sound track. No need to re-rip. The movies also play fine on my roku, android, and ios devices.

Scott750

You can use MKVMerge to remove the DD5.1 and just leave the DTS. MB3 should then display the DTS icon.

I do this all the time as I prefer DTS to DD. It's also a good way to reduce the file size by not doubling up on unnecessary audio tracks.

If you want to keep both then you might be able to use MKVMerge to rearrange the order of the audio tracks putting DTS above DD. This can be done for sure but whether it will make a difference to the icons in MB3 I can't say.

I do like having both DTS & DD. If I have my AVR on I want the better audio that DTS offers. If I'm only listening to audio thru my Samsung Plasma tv I have to use DD since it can't decode DTS. I wish it would decode DTS, that way I don't have to select the correct audio track while streaming.

Where can I download mkvmerge?