Choosing DTS or DD 5.1 During Playback

Scott750

Scott750

I'm in the middle of ripping all of my DVD collection using CloneDVD to MBS. Some of my movies have the option to select multiple audio formats like Dolby AC-3/6, Dolby AC-3/2 or DTS/6. Some have all 3 formats present. If I select all of these formats, when I go to play the movie in MBC, it always defaults to Dolby Digital. I can confirm on my AVR that DD5.1 is displayed as being decoded.

If I re-rip the movie and only select DTS/6 then the AVR will play DTS. I kinda want the better audio format like DTS or higher playing if possible. DTS audio sounds slightly better to me than DD.

Is there a way to select what is the default audio bitstreaming in MBC?

Hopefully I don't have to go back and re-rip all of those movies containing DD5.1 & DTS.

On a side note, I played a movie using the web browser in Chrome on my Note 2 Android phone so maybe it's not a bad thing to have only DTS selected during ripping. Any issues you see with having only the DTS audio track ripped instead of all audio tracks?

I only rip the higher quality track.

Bring up the info screen while the item is playing (info button on remote) and see if there is an option there to select a different audio track.  I'm not sure there will be as WMC was designed more for true DVD playback which assumes a menu within the title itself to select such things.

Scott750

Well I did find one issue with only having a DTS audio stream....I have no audio when playing the movie on my TV only and no AVR.  Guess I need to add the 2 ch stereo stream back in.

Scott750

Bring up the info screen while the item is playing (info button on remote) and see if there is an option there to select a different audio track.  I'm not sure there will be as WMC was designed more for true DVD playback which assumes a menu within the title itself to select such things.

I'm using the Lenovo N5902 keyboard/mouse combo so no info button. Right clicking in the movie during playback doesn't show anything about audio.

I'm using the Lenovo N5902 keyboard/mouse combo so no info button. Right clicking in the movie during playback doesn't show anything about audio.

Yeah, that's what I figured.  The WMC player simply doesn't have the ability to do that.

Pelon

It is funny, I remember WMC history, and at first it only has the video library and you had to have a small hack to enable the local DVD playback. You could always use WMC to play actual DVDs. 

I think that the issue about having some audio muted on some TVs connected directly is more on the codes/bitstrimming configuration. I have a TV connected directly to a PC, and I don't have any issues playing any type of audio regardless of the type of audio