Unistall and reinstall Emby - will I loose everything/anything?

rondeel
Go to solution Solved by OddbOd,

I currently have Emby (v3.2.33.0) installed manually under the "QNAP Store" tab in "AppCenter". After adding https://store.qnapclub.eu/store/en.xml as a new repository, I would like to have it under the new tab "QNAP Club" instead since that would make the update to new versions more smooth. But, when I try to install a new version from the "QNAP Club" tab, I'm told that the "The internal name of Emby has been registered by Emby. You must uninstall Emby before installing Emby". Yes, I know, that hardly makes sense, but I think I understand since there are two different ways of installing the app...

So, the question is; Will the unistall of Emby from the "QNAP Store" tab remove everything from my QNAP? All settings, history, users, etc.? Any advise?

• Solution

Has anyone tried and can confirm that everything is lost?

Yes, at least three times and, yes, you lose everything. Honestly it's not as much of a hassle as you might think unless you have a huge library, many users and a complex configuration.

• Like 1

Well, to whatever genius who made that decision to wipe my settings: Thank you very much!

I got the message in emby to update from 3.2.33.0 to 3.2.35.0.

So I downloaded it, installed it and had 2 apps in my Qnap App Center. So I thought: Well, maybe they still don't have the same update process like Plex.

Then I uninstalled the old version and now everything (all watched-information) is gone.

Thanks again! Great user experience.

You installed the new Emby package which is totally a different setup in first your should have give a look in your new app.

If you do not want to lose your watched information take a emby premiere and get the backup plugin or for free you can use the TraktTV plugin

macvirii

And sometimes, even when you ssh in the server, delete de /.qpkg/Emby/ folder and still, god knows why, there's some TV guide cache hidden somewhere. I had to reboot the nas after another removal to actually clean my installation.

And even after that, the logs didn't clear.

Well sometimes we are lucky.

And sometimes, even when you ssh in the server, delete de /.qpkg/Emby/ folder and still, god knows why, there's some TV guide cache hidden somewhere. I had to reboot the nas after another removal to actually clean my installation.

And even after that, the logs didn't clear.

Well sometimes we are lucky.

@@macvirii, why do you think there's tv guide cache hidden somewhere?

macvirii

@@macvirii, why do you think there's tv guide cache hidden somewhere?

Yes, using the new Qnap version, removed the app, no Emby-Server folder anymore, and still on reinstall, tv metadata/epg cache still there.

Maybe something stays on the memory of the NAS when I remove, delete the folder, and then reinstall.

Restarting after removing solves the problem.

Ok so you're referring to the new package that we've put up for testing here in our community. I think it might be trying to use the data from the "old" package. We'll do some testing. Please keep in mind this is only temporary while the new package is in testing. Eventually the old one will be phased out and it won't be possible for this to even happen. Thanks !