New Server Recomendation

dcook

I am starting to research a new server for my Emby.

Currently I have Emby server running on a Windows 10 server and all my media on a QNAP

While I have had zero issues, the QNAP is getting old and I need to look at upgrading.

I am thinking I would like to build or buy a bigger server have it all contained on one.

Here are my questions:

Any recommendations for Dell/HP servers that have lots of SATA drive slots and not insanely expensive?

If I build the server myself, and recommendations on hardware/chassis?  Supermicro perhaps?

What CPU is best for Emby?  Older Xeon or newer AMD or Intel?

I would like space for 4 2.5" SSD Drives and 16 3.5" SATA drives.

I am going to use Drivepool so I don't need a RAID card, but obviously would need at least 20 SATA ports somehow

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Edited by dcook

Jdiesel

As I see it there are two economical options.

1) New consumer grade hardware

2) Used enterprise hardware

I would personally lean towards consumer hardware in a Norco case like Doofus recommended as it allows for better upgradability and will be easier to fit 16 3.5" SATA drives in it versus the enterprise options. Get a enterprise pci-e raid controller and expander for your storage drives and run the SSDs off of the motherboard.    

Edited by Jdiesel

I do very little trans-coding

Its all local network, and 90% used by Roku's, the other 10% its the ipad or andriod app

I don't do any live tv or recording either.

Guest asrequested

The SAS controller will need to be in IT mode not IR(RAID) if you are going to use drive pooling. You can buy them in that mode, as flashing them can be a pain.

I'd suggest you get a 24 bay, so you can expand.

Guest asrequested

I do very little trans-coding

Its all local network, and 90% used by Roku's, the other 10% its the ipad or andriod app

I don't do any live tv or recording either.

So you may be able to use an i3, but an i5 doesn't cost much more.

While I understand CPU/memory and disk drives on there own, my knowledge of backplanes and SATA expanders is very outdated. 

In the past when I wanted to build a server with larger number of drives I would just get a RAID card and do a Raid5 or Raid10.

I don't want to do RAID anymore and my fear is if I buy used enterprise server, is that the SATA backplane will only support 2TB drives for example, or it will have a RAID controller that doesn't support drivepool?

Any of you using Drivepool, can you let me know what hardware your using?

Jdiesel

While I understand CPU/memory and disk drives on there own, my knowledge of backplanes and SATA expanders is very outdated. 

In the past when I wanted to build a server with larger number of drives I would just get a RAID card and do a Raid5 or Raid10.

I don't want to do RAID anymore and my fear is if I buy used enterprise server, is that the SATA backplane will only support 2TB drives for example, or it will have a RAID controller that doesn't support drivepool?

You will need to setup your raid controller as JBOD and then you should be able to then use Drivepool just fine

Something like this for example as a starting point:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SuperMicro-4U-Server-w-2-X5650-6-Core-2-7GHz-24x-2TB-Drives-48GB-DDR3-RAM/391906901088?hash=item5b3f78bc60:g:KNoAAOSwSlBY2bFe

I know the CPU/Memory will be ok, but I don't know about the LSI 9650SE-24M8 SATA RAID controller ? 

And if I changed the drives to 4TB models would the backplane and LSI controller support that?

Jdiesel

Something like this for example as a starting point:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SuperMicro-4U-Server-w-2-X5650-6-Core-2-7GHz-24x-2TB-Drives-48GB-DDR3-RAM/391906901088?hash=item5b3f78bc60:g:KNoAAOSwSlBY2bFe

I know the CPU/Memory will be ok, but I don't know about the LSI 9650SE-24M8 SATA RAID controller ? 

And if I changed the drives to 4TB models would the backplane and LSI controller support that?

I don't think it officially supports drives larger than 2TB. What it does is split drive larger than 2TB into smaller virtual drives (drive carving) which I believe you will want to avoid if possible.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ1dzJsYzXAhVB4WMKHeuMCF8QFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.broadcom.com%2Fdocs%2F12351903&usg=AOvVaw1hye9vURzcP-JXy_PYQvvq

Edit: Actually I may be wrong about that, that might just be a feature for supporting legacy filesystems.

Edited by Jdiesel

Guest asrequested

I'm using drivepooling. I have a 16 bay norco case. I have two LSI 9211 8i SAS cards in IT mode. 4 ports supporting 16 drives. The norco cases have one backplane per row of drive bays. They have SAS ports not SATA. You'll need a SAS card like mine but also an expander card to be able support the amount of drives you have. I presently have three drivepools. My movie pool has 8 4TB drives. Edited by Doofus

Swynol

like you've found out used enterprise or new consumer stuff is the way to go.

used servers tend to be big, noisy and hot, so unless you have room for it away from civilization and somewhere you can keep cool then consumer stuff is probably better.

Norco cases are highly regarded. i have a 20 bay case, comes with a backplane which fits both SAS and SATA drives. With a 20 bay case you want to future proof your self, so go for a good PSU, around 850w+ even if you only have 2 drives installed you will have capacity to fill all 20 bays.

motherbaord and cpu. this is probably the hardest part. you have a choice of intel i series, xeon or AMDs new Ryzen. Ryzen is new and not many people have tested it, plus manufactures are still getting their heads around it. 

now it comes down to how much power you want to have. i series whether i5 or i7 should handle a good amount of transcodes is very well supportted and easy to source. xeons depending on the model you get will support more transcodes can be sourced second hand for a reasonable amount. 

Raid card for the back plane. i like the LSI SAS9201-8i  M1015 6Gbps SAS/SATA PCI RAID controller card, its 6Gbps interface and the M1015 can be easily flashed to IT mode. this card will support 8 drives. you can start with one card and expand in future.

You can also use one of these - SAS 36Pin SFF-8087 to 4x SATA Reverse Cable   - this will use 4 sata ports on your motherboard to 1 backplane connector which allows you to use 4 drives on the backplane.

Now you need drives - well good thing about the backplane it accepts any sata drives of any size. i currently run a mix of 4TB, 3TB, 2TB and 1TB. Drivepool combines all these drives into one large drive.

• Like 1