Folder Structure

TerryMc

TerryMc

In the old MB2 knowledge base Q&A "What is the recommended folder structure for media collections?", there was note about mixed movie files, movie folders and ISO’s

It said..

Movies ripped from a disc are often stored in a folder structure (VIDEO_TS for example) or ISO files. Movies stored this way work fine within mediabrowser, however it is recommended that these files be stored in a separate folder structure from movies that are in other file formats (like .avi, .mkv, .wmv, etc) because mixing these different types can cause problems for Media Browser.

I had followed this advise in my last build though I did not know what "can cause problems for Media Browser." really meant.

Though I try to stick with MKV for movie rips nowadays, I still have a bit of a mix..

Now that I am starting a completely new build, I wonder if these old KB's still basically apply, and in particular that part about "mixed movies" matters for the new MB3 server?

No.  That is really old advice.  I don't think it was even a problem on later versions of MB 2.x.

Actual file formats will give you better features and you are already moving that direction I see, but the old rips and ISOs will still basically work and it isn't a problem for them to be in the same media folder as file-based ones.

TerryMc

Thanks guys.

I had setup this rather messy structure ages ago.  Glad to be rid of it..

• 10 months later...

I am also a bit lost on how to have ISO movie file of a movie in the same parent folder as the AVI or MP4. For example, would the proper folder structure look like this:

\My Movies\12 Monkeys (1995)\12 Monkeys (1995).mp4

\My Movies\12 Monkeys (1995)\12 Monkeys (1995).iso

Does the ISO need to go into a sub folder? I am sure the answer is simple, however, I am trying iteration after iteration and not getting the ability to get it to work.

I am also a bit lost on how to have ISO movie file of a movie in the same parent folder as the AVI or MP4. For example, would the proper folder structure look like this:

\My Movies\12 Monkeys (1995)\12 Monkeys (1995).mp4

\My Movies\12 Monkeys (1995)\12 Monkeys (1995).iso

Does the ISO need to go into a sub folder? I am sure the answer is simple, however, I am trying iteration after iteration and not getting the ability to get it to work.

That is actually a little different than what this topic was talking about.  Most people don't have an iso version and a file version of the exact same item.  You probably could accomplish this using the multi-resolution naming explained in the wiki.

I tried using the wiki before coming and posting. Because they are two different extensions or file types, do they need to be identified in a specific manner or placed into different sub folders? I need further instruction on this as it seems to be an example not covered in the wiki. The multiple resolution example has the same file extension where is these are different.

Thanks for the quick replies!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I used the -DVD -iPad to show the various resolutions, but the library still shows two instances instead of 1 movie cover and two different ways to view it.