Addon play back default to HTTP instead of SMB

e123enitan

e123enitan

What is the preferred file sharing on a LAN circumstances, I noticed when plugin first initialized, it does not allow for the option to change either HTTP or SMB, it just raced through client/server sync, may be it should designed to allow for option selection (just my thought), so user can make choice. Well after completing the first sync using HTTP, just to see how the file sharing will perform under SMB ,then I changed the play back to SMB hoping it will play, but it fails, then I had to cleared DB and re scanned which takes a while (not an issue), the result of the SMB seems faster in my view, not scientific measure.

I am not sure if anyone have noticed this or just my imagination, but there has to be a diff in both approaches, and which is preferred for LAN  and the implications of either.

Please share your thoughts

Cheers! 

Edited by e123enitan

Angelblue05

Hey there, you do have the option to pick. Either native playback or addon playback. Then, if you select addon playback which is default, you can always toggle play from http if you want to play the file via smb.

If your Kodi is always going to be connected to your home network, and you don't use emby cinema mode or multi-part files then I suggest you use native playback for maximum compatibility with other Kodi addons. Addon playback is default because it is guaranteed to work out of the box, regardless if Kodi can access your file or not.

If you switch between the playback mode then you have to resync ur library.

If playback via smb fails, check ur paths to make sure they match up what Kodi would expect (navigate to your directories via install from zip for addons). Does Kodi have access? Is the path the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

e123enitan

Hey there, you do have the option to pick. Either native playback or addon playback. Then, if you select addon playback which is default, you can always toggle play from http if you want to play the file via smb.

If your Kodi is always going to be connected to your home network, and you don't use emby cinema mode or multi-part files then I suggest you use native playback for maximum compatibility with other Kodi addons. Addon playback is default because it is guaranteed to work out of the box, regardless if Kodi can access your file or not.

If you switch between the playback mode then you have to resync ur library.

If playback via smb fails, check ur paths to make sure they match up what Kodi would expect (navigate to your directories via install from zip for addons). Does Kodi have access? Is the path the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I m good with SMB play back.