Delay server restart if Users watching

mobamoba

mobamoba

For server or plugin update, I'll hit the Restart button on the Admin page to implement. Unfortunately, I've done this a few times without noticing that another User was watching and thus interrupted their viewing. It would be nice if Emby would notify me if another User is watching after I click Restart in order to avoid this, something a la "Users Mary and Alice are currently logged on and watching. Restart anyway?"

• Like 2

Happy2Play

Is there a reason you are manually restarting and not letting server restart on its own?

Allow the server to restart automatically to apply updates
The server will only restart during idle periods, when no users are active.

mobamoba

For example, recently there were some bugs in the Auto Organize plugin and new versions were pushed and as I was doing some library organizing, I manually restarted the server so I'd have the updated version of the plugin.

It's a good idea, but the now playing users are visible on the same screen as the restart button, right?

mobamoba

Well not really I don't think. I mean, Active Devices is below the Restart section, so it's not really noticeable unless you remember to scroll. Also Active Devices kind lumps together devices that are just checking in with server (I guess that's what they're doing) with actual server use. For example, right now, one is watching anything, but I have 5 Active Devices. What I'm saying is that I don't really think the Dashboard at this point gives a clear indication that there are active users presents.

So perhaps a different idea: what if there were an "Active Users" section about the "Recent Activity" section on the Dashboard? Then I could know at a glance if anyone was watching before I even scrolled down to click the Restart button.

Happy2Play

I don't understand do you not see this?  It shows if something is being played or not.

59ee3b45d7b82_playing.jpg

mobamoba

Yes it shows it underneath the Restart button as opposed to in the eyeline before accidentally hitting restart on an Active User. It also lumps in actually playing videos with the non-playing Active Device history. My feature request is that either (a) Emby actively tell me when there are Active Users before restarting or ( B) that Active Users be separated out from Active Devices and made more prominent and higher up on the screen so I could see at a glance that users are logged in and wait to do a manual restart until later.

And aargh - it keeps inserting a smiley instead of the letter B and I'm not sure how to stop that! :) (actual smiley meant here).

Edited by mobamoba

Happy2Play

I guess it depends on the size of the screen you are looking at, as everything is directly visible.

59ee3e3a13fcf_dash.jpg

Also, if there are pending installations, that will show above active devices.

Bottom line - it is a good idea to indicate in the confirmation box that already comes up that there are active streams going.

Well if you would just click the button and take the tour that would allow you to reclaim a lot of that vertical space :)

• Like 1

Happy2Play

To me if you are looking at a manual restart, as a admin I could care less who is watching something if I am restarting the server.  But that is just me.