Emby Server - Show Intro/Outro Detection + Favorite Scenes Feature

hvt

Hello community,

I have two feature requests:

1. Detection of intro and outro by analysing video files in an overnight task. As this is very resource consuming it may be simplified by asking the user one time per season/show to give an example time range where an intro/outro is in video file. In overnight task they will be then compared to other files. Probably at shows because video files have often same bitrate/frame. Then you will be able to skip them while watching the show. (Just like in Netflix)
  2. Maybe you think a scene is quite great and want to save it for later reviewing. This would look like http://med-fom-fmprpostgrad.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2016/02/Timeline-for-Scholarship-Projects.png on the timeline of the osd. Also chapters can be integrated here. They can be shared to the other users on the server. The other users can decide whether they want to see them or not.

First one is quite heavy to implement but the second one should be possible (not easy, but possible ;))

Loving to use Emby !!! I used Plex before and I am impressed by the amount of settings.

Greedings Julian

• Like 3

Hi, a favorites scenes, and/or scenes bookmarking feature is something i've wanted to do for a long time.

Hi, a favorites scenes, and/or scenes bookmarking feature is something i've wanted to do for a long time.

Do you think it will be implemented in future updates?

• 11 months later...
jblaze12

This is something since being introduced by netflix a year or more ago, I've wanted on my plex server. It seems plex is headed in a very different direction. What are the odds this could be added to emby? I'm liking emby so far but would love some killer features that are unique to it:

1. set or have auto-detectable (via audio/theme music?) button for skipping intros to tv shows

2. Pseudotv type integration for home media based virtual channels.

• Like 1

Hi, we like the idea, it's just hard to prioritize over our core features which are constantly being improved. thanks !

jblaze12

Hi, we like the idea, it's just hard to prioritize over our core features which are constantly being improved. thanks !

Thanks for the response, sad to hear those won't be coming at all. As long as your "core features" don't turn into audiobooks, podcasts, mobile vr, comics, web shows and stay focused on actual media curation...I'll give emby a chance.

Thanks, I didn't say they won't be coming. We measure request based on community feedback, and if there's enough demand then we'll certainly look at it.

Thanks, I didn't say they won't be coming. We measure request based on community feedback, and if there's enough demand then we'll certainly look at it.

Is there some kind of voting platform?

Like the first post of the thread to vote for it.

@@Luke I'm sure you already know this but comskip can write out many formats such as edl files that contain what it thinks are the commercials. That could be used during a background process to build the edl files that the clients could pull in.

Of course the client then needs a "skip to" and "skip back to" type function to jump to the cut marks.  Most other programs color code the timeline but if you felt like playing just ignore the timeline and try implementing just the "jump to" routines. 

I doubt you guys would find it hard to implement, just a time issue and order of priorities. :)

I honestly think you guys would spend more time trying to determine how to jump using the remote and UI design (on paper) to make it work then the actual implementation on many clients.  That to me is the biggest hurdle to solve.  Short of only being able to skip using the UI vs the remote type thing we are out of buttons. :)

• Like 1

Right, step 1 for comskip will just be getting it in and offering a setting to strip out commercials entirely. step 2 would be the more advanced option of going the edl route.

• Like 1

I sort of derailed this from he original OP post and I'm sorry for that. The reason is that if you have to burn CPU cycles processing a file to look for "intros" and "outros" then you might as well try to note all the commercials as well since you're already processing the file looking for similar information.  Detecting the commercials is probably easier to do right now since there are a couple of programs already available to do this vs the original op request and can be done NOW already with the post processing.

Services like Netflix have people hand curating the media to create the different bitrate versions and they probably enter this information for each file they add to the system to make this type of feature very accurate vs a backend process that tries to guess.  Emby could certainly do the same and allow this to be manually entered but it would require each client to be modified to use this information as well as add DB columns to hold the information and of course new entry/modification screens for inputting the information.

How many people would take the time to set this up if it was a manual process of inputting the start/stop times of the intro/outros?

If these were DVD/BluRay rips it would be much easier since a global database could be used to hold the info and it could be shared.  It could become a typical piece of meta-data.  But this type of thing/idea goes out the window when it's a DVR recording because the timeline will be different for everyone depending on start/stop padding, commercials, no commercials, etc.

For something that sounds relatively easy conceptual wise, this would probably be very hard to implement for our use without hand editing the info for every file.

jblaze12

"How many people would take the time to set this up if it was a manual process of inputting the start/stop times of the intro/outros?

If these were DVD/BluRay rips it would be much easier since a global database could be used to hold the info and it could be shared."

Me. I'm the weirdo who would do this. 

I was anticipating only dvd/blu-ray rips not tv rips.

• Like 1

"How many people would take the time to set this up if it was a manual process of inputting the start/stop times of the intro/outros?

If these were DVD/BluRay rips it would be much easier since a global database could be used to hold the info and it could be shared."

Me. I'm the weirdo who would do this. 

I was anticipating only dvd/blu-ray rips not tv rips.

I'm also this kind of guy :D By using some algorithms we could speed things up and burn less cpu cycles. You can also simplify things like picking the intro in first episode and check for it in all remaining seasons/episodes. (Overview with green/red if found or not) and manual adjustation. Only video or audio or both. Then make the time more precise by checking for same frames. So it's quite "simple" (in concept) without having the user to invest a lot of time @@cayars

One of two requests duplicate ;) The scene bookmarking feature is here too :D

Locking.  Please respond in the original topics (and try to keep requests to single features).

Thanks.