Still need password on local network with empty PIN

shred00

shred00

Using Emby server 3.2.33.0, I set a password on one of my user accounts but then opted into the quick login PIN for that account and left it empty to allow local-network login without any authentication.

Every time that user logs into the web interface, even on the local network, she is asked for her password after selecting her account.

Am I misunderstanding how this empty-PIN thing is supposed to work on the local network?

Edited by shred00

Happy2Play

I created a new user on stable and can not reproduce this on local network.

Thanks @@Happy2Play !

yes I think after investigation we're going to find out that the user was not actually on the local network. But let's wait and see. Thanks.

shred00

Hi @@shred00, are you sure they were on the local network? Are you using a vpn or reverse proxy?

Yes, most definitely -- on the same physical network at least.  On the LAN here in the house.

So the question might become, logically, from a software perspective, what constitutes a local network?  What logic is Emby applying to determine local vs. remote network?  I probably don't have the most straightforward local network even.  It consists of an RFC-1918 IPv4 network, a link-local IPv6 as well as a couple of other "publicly routed" IPv6 networks.  So definitely more complicated that "Mom & Dad's" LAN.

So maybe I have something that is escaping the local-network logic.

Edited by shred00

So maybe I have something that is escaping the local-network logic.

Yea it sounds that way I'm afraid.

shred00

Because, really, just because a host or multi-network or multi-stack, shouldn't preclude local network detection.

With IPv6 coming it's going to be the norm, not the exception.  Better to get out in front of that.

rbjtech

I'm interested to find out too - as I have a VLAN setup with my IoT/TV/Player devices isolated from the Emby Server VLAN and only accessible via the Emby TCP/IP Port through a firewall.

All the VLAN's are the same RFC-1918 (non-routable) class - so maybe that's how it calculates - either way, I do not need to enter password/codes on these devices.

• 4 months later...
jaspalgill

I'm interested to find out too - as I have a VLAN setup with my IoT/TV/Player devices isolated from the Emby Server VLAN and only accessible via the Emby TCP/IP Port through a firewall.

All the VLAN's are the same RFC-1918 (non-routable) class - so maybe that's how it calculates - either way, I do not need to enter password/codes on these devices.

Interesting, another user has the opposite problem, he has a VLAN in the same RFC-1918 class (his VPN subnet) that he wants to be handled as remote but Emby treats as local LAN - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56505-vpn-connection-not-detected-as-remote/

So maybe Emby is honouring 'Classful' networking when it comes to LAN vs Remote.

As for the IPv6 and no password access, in my previous setup I had eliminated as much of link local IPv6 as I could because it was messing with my DNS resolution, and as far as I can remember my LAN access worked as expected.

I've recently moved and rebuilt everything and my new router is handing out IPV6 all over the place and anecdotally I've noticed some issues - I'm not at home so can't test right now.