"Can't connect to server"

karl1980

karl1980

Emby worked well for some time but lately has stopped being able to connect to server.

I have EMBY running on a PC @ home that uses Windows 7. All I get is "can't connect to server" errors now. I have tried reinstalling EMBY on the machine, deleting the server and putting it back in and also using the "CONNECT" method in the software.

Oh... I am using the app on a Amazon FireStick. 

Would like to get this working again.

Thanks

Karl

karl1980

That does seem to have been the issue. Had to do a uninstall of the anti-virus and that seems to have started the issue. I went into Windows Firewall to correct it.

Initially it looked like this: 59e39b312b4f4_Screenshot_12.jpg

I then reversed the two entries: 59e39b5def89d_Screenshot_13.jpg

At least for the moment, I don't need access from outside of my home. I assume the "Public" one would be for the external IP to work. Is it usual to have 2 entries like this or might that have occurred when I uninstalled and reinstalled it?

Thanks very much for the quick reply!

Edited by karl1980

That does seem to have been the issue. Had to do a uninstall of the anti-virus and that seems to have started the issue. I went into Windows Firewall to correct it.

Initially it looked like this: 59e39b312b4f4_Screenshot_12.jpg

I then reversed the two entries: 59e39b5def89d_Screenshot_13.jpg

At least for the moment, I don't need access from outside of my home. I assume the "Public" one would be for the external IP to work. Is it usual to have 2 entries like this or might that have occurred when I uninstalled and reinstalled it?

Thanks very much for the quick reply!

The "Public" and "Private" there refers to the network type, not how the server is being accessed.

When you are on your home LAN the network should be classified as private which will allow more traffic through.  When you connect, say, at Starbucks or the airport, then that network should be classified as public and the system is going to restrict a lot of access in that scenario.

You can see that the first rule is not enabled, so what you essentially did was enable traffic when on a private network.  Previously, it was denied and was why you couldn't connect.