Transcoding not throttling

iamspartacus

iamspartacus

I have a single user playing a file right now and I'm seeing some awfully high CPU usage for a single file transcode.  Furthermore it's as if it's not throttling the transcode even though I have it set.  The movie is about 20 minutes in and yet the red progress bar (I assume this represents how much of the file has been transcoded?) is near the end.

What exactly does "Enable throttling" do?

EDIT:  I can confirm once the red progress bar reached the end the CPU usage dropped to nill.  So clearly the transcoding it not throttling until it completely finishes.

Edited by iamspartacus

It needs re-evaluation. It is currently a placebo effects. The techniques that were being used before to accomplish this no longer work with newer ffmpeg builds or with hardware transcoding enabled. So it's currently not doing anything.

iamspartacus

It needs re-evaluation. It is currently a placebo effects. The techniques that were being used before to accomplish this no longer work with newer ffmpeg builds or with hardware transcoding enabled. So it's currently not doing anything.

So there is no way to limit CPU usage at all?  If I set the Transcode threat count to say half my CPUs cores instead of auto, does that apply to all transcodes individually or in total?

Thread count affects each individual transcode. You have that tool at your disposal along with the hardware transcoding options. thanks.

• 2 months later...
MulziSAW

Hey Luke,

I know this is a relative old thread... But for my post-processing script I use a custom nice value like this:

/usr/bin/nice -n 10 "/var/lib/emby-server/convert.sh" "{path}"

The processor load is still very high, but other processes with a lower niceness run smoother.

Could this be applied to the transcodings?

dcrdev

But it would also be limited to unix like operating systems i.e. not windows.

I used to do something like this -

• Have a shell script calling ffmpeg with nice and pass on any arguments sent to the script, to ffmpeg.
  • Specify the path to that script as a custom ffmpeg path in emby.

But the custom ffmpeg path option has been removed in the new packages, I'm sure I could figure out a way to do it still - but I don't really have the requirement to throttle anymore, now that my new system supports vaapi

MulziSAW
Hey dcrdev!

Thanks for the tip, will definitely try this. 

Concerning your point about beeing Unix only your right, of course. But for Windows there is something similar. Here is a post I found in the web:

You can start a process in high proirity in command line. Use the start command.

start ["title"] [/dPath]
[/i]
[/min] [/max] [{/separate | /shared}] [{/low | /normal | /high | /realtime | /abovenormal | belownormal}] [/wait]
[/b]
[FileName] [parameters]

eg:- start "Explorer" /high "C:\Windows\explorer.exe" For easy access type this into a notepad and save as file with "bat" extension. Then you only have to double click this file

So in theory one could realize a similar behavior on both platforms.