For you Unifi guys

mastrmind11

Swynol

The USG pro should be able to handle much better speeds over VPN than that. Take it to the unifi forums, theres quite alot on there about speeds.

Guest asrequested

There aren't any options. Another reason for building a gateway is that using Torguard's client I get much better encryption. And they update it, regularly. It gives me much more control. I can run Ubuntu, so it'll be stable.

Guest asrequested

I posted my question in the Unifi forum, and it looks like the gateway doesn't have enough juice for the encryption. The most anyone is getting is 25Mb/s. So now I have a new project. Build my own gateway to add to my network

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Configure-VPN-client-for-USG/m-p/2163268#M68689

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I've got a spare i5 and motherboard. So I'm planning to build a 2u Linux machine. Then I can run Torguard's client and maybe some other security.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

well that sux. going pfsense or sophos UTM?

Maybe I'll take a look at the sophos utm. It's its own OS, correct? Does it have a VPN client and good encryption?

mgworek

It does have vpn client. I can't speak for the encryption. I used sophos for years both personally and professionally but I wasn't happy with some of their business decisions and I wanted to go fully Unfi. Sophos Access Points were nothing compared to Unfi AP's.

For the vpn client, its just config files you download to your OS or your phone and you use your preferred vpn client. I think windows has its own client, in OSX I use tunnelblick.

One thing I noticed when sophos for the firewall/router is you don't get full internet speed. It slows it down a little bit. It's close to full but its not.

Guest asrequested

It does have vpn client. I can't speak for the encryption. I used sophos for years both personally and professionally but I wasn't happy with some of their business decisions and I wanted to go fully Unfi. Sophos Access Points were nothing compared to Unfi AP's.

For the vpn client, its just config files you download to your OS or your phone and you use your preferred vpn client. I think windows has its own client, in OSX I use tunnelblick.

One thing I noticed when sophos for the firewall/router is you don't get full internet speed. It slows it down a little bit. It's close to full but its not.

I have all unifi components, too. But the gateway is choking my bandwidth. I need to do some research on pfsense. I may still run Linux and use Torguard's client. It gives me much more flexibility to do it that way.

mastrmind11

I am also interested in doing this after @'s experience w/ the USG.  I figured it wouldn't have the cycles to do the encryption and planned on setting up my own openVPN gateway.  I'm curious how you get on w/ this.  I have a shitload of juiced up ARM devices sitting around since I quit Kodi and would love to put one (or more) to use.  What I don't want is to have to set up every client w/ an openVPN token... I just want everything to go through the tunnel automatically.  There are docs out there, but I'm always up for first hand reviews.  What I'm unclear about is the cycles required to do the encryption.  I plan to start reading, but again, love me some first hand reviews.  

Guest asrequested

Yeah, I want a simple and flexible setup. Using the services own client, ensures compatibility and is kept up to date with their servers. And I can easily manipulate it without complicated CLI configs. Of course I'll need to experiment to see what works best, but I'm favoring the Linux OS with the service's own client for the VPN and route all internet traffic through it. And then it'll pass through the unifi gateway on the way to the network. This way I can also add security measures, should I wish to. I may even chuck my i7 6700k in there and strong arm this thing.

mastrmind11

Yeah, I want a simple and flexible setup. Using the services own client, ensures compatibility and is kept up to date with their servers. And I can easily manipulate it without complicated CLI configs. Of course I'll need to experiment to see what works best, but I'm favoring the Linux OS with the service's own client for the VPN and route all internet traffic through it. And then it'll pass through the unifi gateway on the way to the network. This way I can also add security measures, should I wish to. I may even chuck my i7 6700k in there and strong arm this thing.

I'm with you.  But with an 1-2 hours free on any given Sat/Sun, I need to be a keyboard commando as efficiently as possible.  GL, I'll keep reading, perhaps this can be accomplished w/ a docker container.

Edited by mastrmind11

Swynol

i've used sophos utm, it has a vpn client built and does encryption.

i ran it with everything turned on, so virus scanning, IPS, firewall, threat stuff. an i3 with 8gb was fine for my 100/20 line. cpu would sit at around 3% and max 10%.

Guest asrequested

i've used sophos utm, it has a vpn client built and does encryption.

i ran it with everything turned on, so virus scanning, IPS, firewall, threat stuff. an i3 with 8gb was fine for my 100/20 line. cpu would sit at around 3% and max 10%.

But your VPN is site to site, isn't it?

Take a look at Pfsense. Piece of cake to setup your VPN on it. I use PIA and it works great.

Plenty of guides around too for setting up Torguard on it.

Edited by Mr.Mac

Guest asrequested

Take a look at Pfsense. Piece of cake to setup your VPN on it. I use PIA and it works great.

Plenty of guides around too for setting up Torguard on it.

Just as long as I don't have to use the command line. If I can't do it in a UI, I won't be using it. I just want to enter my details and be done. That's why I'm thinking about just running Ubuntu and using the Torguard client. I need it to be that simple.

Guest asrequested

Sweet! Then I'm totally gonna mess with that. Thank you!

The only possible issue with that, is that it's for OpenVPN. When I use OpenVPN in their client, I get terrible bandwidth. I have to use openconnect. Hmmmmm....

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Taking a closer look at all the settings I would have to go through, it's not what I want. I'm just going to use the TG client

• 2 months later...
mastrmind11

FYI

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/New-Beta-UniFi-Intrusion-Prevention-System-stops-hack-attempt/cns-p/2169344

Apparently the older models of the USG are going to have a hard time w/ IPS du to the lack of CPU juice, but they're supposedly building a custom USG at the same price point as the existing USG-3P but w/ more juice specifically for IPS.  Sure beats having to shell out $900 for an XG for sure.  Anyway, looks pretty interesting.