Small problem after an address change of server

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

First I want to apologize because I failed to get the logs after the problem happened. I was making some major changes to my network and noticed the problem but distracted myself when it happened.

I am not using Emby Connect to log into my server because I do not want any problems should my internet go down. I just allow apps to detect my server on my local network.

After I made the modifications and reset everything and reserved the new address for each device I then went to make sure I could access Emby from all my clients.

My Shield quickly  noticed that the old address was not valid and reported in could not connect so I chose "Change server" and was given the new address as a choice which I selected and logged in and all was good.

The same thing happened on my Fire.

However on my Roku Ultra I was presented a nearly blank screen with just a spinning wheel that continued for about two or three minutes and the it automatically found the new address and logged me in.

While, in some ways, the Roku's behavior is better I think it took too long to "decide" to do the right thing.

I believe one of two things should have happened:

1. The screen with the spinning wheel should have said it was searching for servers and offered to select one manually.

2. It should have timed out much more quickly.

Of course the current behavior worked and that is VERY good but it was a bit worrying to have that near blank screen hang around for so long.

I just wanted to report what happened in case it could be improved.

I believe the spinning wheel is an indicator of a connectivity attempt in progress, it goes away once you've fully connected to the server or if there were complications preventing connection. 

The prolonged timeout might be more of a hardware or firmware aspect of the roku (or a difference in OS network handling) especially since the other two devices (the shield & fire tv/stick) are based off a different OS, namely Android and they responded to the server address change in the same manner.

Rokus are based off their own SDK/NDK and scripting language so that might explain why your roku device didn't respond to the server address change in the same manner as your android-based devices.

Gilgamesh_48

Do you happen to know what version of the app was running when this happened?

It was the beta. Currently I am at 3.0.51 of the beta app so, unless there has been an update since yesterday evening, that is what was running at the time.

BTW: It happened at about 23:30 EDT on 10/11/2017 I know pretty close to the exact time as I finished the network update at about 23:00 and I tested things in a particular order with computers coming first then streaming devices with the Rokus last among those and then other devices on my network.

BTW2: Both my Rokus that are currently in use showed the same behavior and the one in my bedroom worked perfectly through the night after it redetected my server.