Huge bandwidth usage difference between IOS App and Web App

jscoys

jscoys

Hello,

I was wondering why when I watched a movie from the IOS App with my 8GB LTE monthly subscription I received every time an sms from my provider saying I reached 75-90% of my monthly sub, even if I put a low bitrate... so I did a little test the last weekend and now I can affirm that the iOS App doesn’t manage correctly the max bitrate specified.

For my tests, on Saturday evening 7pm and Sunday evening 7:36pm , I used The lion king. Here is the info, very standard 1080 movie :

3ce4b8f2d82b7e9157550e3ad3e121d3.png

For the two tests, before starting the playbacks, I forced the bitrate to “720p - 1 Mbps”. I said “before starting the playback” to be sure that the bitrate wasn’t 60 Mbps at the beginning of the playback, because it would have fucked up the results...

For the playback from iOS App, here is my result for a 30 minutes of playback:

a1c84799c118a2c8f9885d2b237d65b1.png

As you can see it’s a huge amount of data consumed for 30 minutes of playback...

For the second test, from the web app, here are my results after 30 minutes of playback:

3191a3102f65af2ec66efdf0c1a69153.png

As you can see, there is a huge delta between both, and IMO the web app is more accurate, but I let you investigate the issue.

Thx, let me know if you need more info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscoys

Tested with 3.2.33.3, IOS 11. The logs from this period has been deleted, but if really necessary, let me know I would do an other test.

That's crazy. 3398 kilobits/sec is 424 kilobytes/sec, which is about 0.424 megabytes/sec. So even over 30minutes that should only 763 megabytes if I'm not mistaken!

jscoys

I’m preparing a new test! I don’t think we can do the calculation like that and it’s more “around” 1MBPS... @xilex: do you notice the problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...