Movie names that start with articles

dolphin

dolphin

Language on my Emby server is set to Italian.

WJ5ol3T.png

When I sort my movies alphabetically by name, movie names that start with articles (such as "The", "A", "An") are placed in the wrong spots, as if those articles didn't exist, as you can see in the following screenshots.

That makes sense if the language is set to English, but not if the language is other than English.

Whatever the language, in my opinion, users would benefit from being able to choose whether they want to ignore the initial articles or not.

SZsPKHR.png

YooaMpW.png

Happy2Play

Don't know why the search url is not working but there are several topics on this.

Put this in the forum search box.

"<sortremovewords>"
Edited by Happy2Play

dolphin

Thank you, I've found it! Sorry for breaking the top forum rule!

Still, I hope that sometime in the future this will be an option we can toggle safely from the web UI instead of having to struggle with the config xml file.

Yes I would agree that in the future we can improve our out of box behavior for non-English languages. thanks.

• Like 1

muppets4

Language on my Emby server is set to Italian.

WJ5ol3T.png

When I sort my movies alphabetically by name, movie names that start with articles (such as "The", "A", "An") are placed in the wrong spots, as if those articles didn't exist, as you can see in the following screenshots.

That makes sense if the language is set to English, but not if the language is other than English.

Whatever the language, in my opinion, users would benefit from being able to choose whether they want to ignore the initial articles or not.

SZsPKHR.png

YooaMpW.png

It is common to do it like it is done by Emby. Otherwise the list of titles opening with The will be endless.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

• Like 1

dolphin

It is common to do it like it is done by Emby. Otherwise the list of titles opening with The will be endless.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Assuming that what is good for you is good for everyone else is a mistake.

As Luke pointed out, they're considering improving out of the box behavior for non-English languages.

English is not even the most widely spoken language worldwide... (source: Wikipedia)

muppets4

Assuming that what is good for you is good for everyone else is a mistake.

As Luke pointed out, they're considering improving out of the box behavior for non-English languages.

English is not even the most widely spoken language worldwide... (source: Wikipedia)

I am Dutch. We speak Dutch. And to disregard the the a etc is not an English rule, but a worldwide rule. The movies you pointed out are English movies..... not Italian titles

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

Yes I would agree that in the future we can improve our out of box behavior for non-English languages. thanks.

Luke I agree that "better" sorting options are needed for all languages even "English." There are situations where the leading article is actually part of the name and not just an place holder and, in those rare cases, the article should be retained again even in English.

The short term remedy (and maybe the only one that can be reliably made to work) is to use the sort field manually to produce the sorting that is desired and that is clearly available as a fix at all times. 

That brings up another issue that I will start another thread about soon in that I suggest that the sort field get filled with what will be the sort title on movie import rather than leaving it empty. It just makes editing it easier in many cases.

Most (in fact all) the languages I have familiarity with (English, German, French, Spanish, Laotian and even "Texan" ) ignore the article when sorting. Some of the languages present articles quite differently and because of the difference the articles play no part in sorting anyway.

I believe the default sorting behavior should always be whatever is the standard in the language involved but that could get "complex" to say the least.

It could be that the only solution would be something resembling a true AI and that would be a rather daunting task I believe.

While I agree that every language should have its idiosyncrasies in sorting handled correctly I also believe that there are many other areas of much greater importance. I believe the core functionality deserves much greater attention that something more peripheral like special handling of sorts.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 1