What is the use of nfo files?

joshuaavalon

SenatorIvy

I don't think you're getting what my issue has been, as you keep stressing this need of outside compatibility, yet already we've referenced a plugin structure on the outside that directs the outside app to where to find images for the library content when not in-folder.

The NFO being found directly in the folder is not some "it must be" thing, it's an "it has always been" thing. 

The same code block that says "if NFO exists in content path" could also be made to say "if nfo exists in rerouted content path."

If you have a folder such as:

\\Movies\Jaws.1975

--Jaws.1975.mkv

--Jaws.1975.nfo

you could also have a folder structure like:

\\Emby\ProgramData\NFOs\Movies\Jaws.1975

--Jaws.1975.nfo

Then you could have an option, since the NFOs are written by emby anyway:

[__] Write NFO to media folder

[__] Write NFO to ProgramData

Then, on re-scanning libraries instead of just checking if a file exists in FileContentPath you would check if it exists in the FileContentPath or the FileNFOPath and if you find one in either place you parse it. Conflicts would favor the more recently changed file if that's a concern.

This way you still have the NFO you can put in your media folder if you want, if you absolutely require compatibility with outside apps, OR for those who just use emby and dont need to care about external programs compatibility you could have it in Emby's data folders where it would be just as accessible for editing/backup/rebuild purposes, but wouldn't be cluttering up the media folders with fluff that changes randomly.

None of this would even be an issue if hashing programs could be told to ignore NFOs when hashing.

pünktchen

What i don't get is why does it bother you so much? I mean how often do you look inside your movie folders with a file explorer to see that "clutter"?

SenatorIvy

I'm in there a lot, and if having to move NFOs around to rehash a folder so it doesn't get corrupt when the NFO changes is a hassle.

14 hours ago, SenatorIvy said:

I'm in there a lot, and if having to move NFOs around to rehash a folder so it doesn't get corrupt when the NFO changes is a hassle.

What do you mean "rehash a folder" ?

19 hours ago, SenatorIvy said:

The same code block that says "if NFO exists in content path" could also be made to say "if nfo exists in rerouted content path."

Then, on re-scanning libraries instead of just checking if a file exists in FileContentPath you would check if it exists in the FileContentPath or the FileNFOPath and if you find one in either place you parse it. Conflicts would favor the more recently changed file if that's a concern.

Sure Emby could do that but wouldn't because that would break the NFO feature.  NFO must be with the media so other programs can work with them properly. If the NFO spec was changed to allow storing NFO in a different location and other software supported this as well then sure Emby could do it as well.

pünktchen
18 minutes ago, cayars said:

What do you mean "rehash a folder" ?

I guess it's a torrent thing. That would also explain why he doesn't like nfos in his (seeding) movie folders 🤫

• Like 2

I'm sure you're correct. If seeding is more important to the OP then making the best use of Emby features then that's a choice. NFO is optional and doesn't need to be used. Theme song and theme videos don't need to be used.  Bifs and graphics don't need to be stored in media folders.

So Emby has the options to make these co-exist but likely isn't going to be optimal from an Emby standpoint.

FrostByte
5 hours ago, crusher11 said:

As I've said many times: purchase your media legally and so many of these problems go away. 

Though it really hasn't helped you all that much has it?  

• Haha 4

SenatorIvy
19 hours ago, crusher11 said:

As I've said many times: purchase your media legally and so many of these problems go away. 

How would this solve this issue; if I'm grabbing a torrent then the contents are as defined in that torrent, and Emby could add a million additional files and it wouldn't affect it.  Hashing it back out is where the issue arises and that's purchase independent.

Unless of course you mean these problems go away because at that point you can't use Emby, since the things you're buying are encapsulated in protected containers delivered via the platform you bought on typically.

Show us your libraries crusher. :v