Hifi headless player

Temperdu

Temperdu

Hi, this is my 1st post. I'm actually a long term Plex user but it seems that Plex has reached its collapsing point : more and more bugs induced by more and more useless functionalities. So I'm looking for an alternative. One of my most important needs is the following :

• headless client with a Pi and a HifiBerry Digi+ (SPDIF)
  • the player has to support HD Audio (24/192 so a simple Chromecast audio is not an option)
  • within the Plex ecosystem, I'm currently using Rasplex and I'm looking for an equivalent

The point is that it has to be stable, not needing to reboot or anything for months 7/24. And it has to be easlily selected by any mobile app.

Does Emby offer that (dealbreaker for me) ?

DomiStyle

Did you try setting up Emby for Kodi? I'm using it on a Raspberry Pi as HTPC right now but when you remove the HDMI cable it will work headless too. It actually is exactly Rasplex, which is based on Plex Home Theater, which is based on XBMC/Kodi.

Only deal breaker for me right now is that Emby on Android can't shuffle a complete library. Also integration with the Android lock screen is really poor. Depends on how you listen to your music though. Shuffling artists/albums works fine.

Edited by DomiStyle

Jdiesel

How about using Volumio and playing to it as a DNLA client?

I personally use a Chromecast Audio connected via an optical cable to a DAC and am very happy with it. I also have a RPi2 with Volumio and a USB DAC but I haven't been using it lately as the Chromecast setup is just so much more convenient for me.

DomiStyle

...but I haven't been using it lately as the Chromecast setup is just so much more convenient for me.

Could you expand on that? I never owned a Chromecast. I'm also working on this right now and Volumio/Emby seem like the proper choice for now.

Jdiesel

Could you expand on that? I never owned a Chromecast. I'm also working on this right now and Volumio/Emby seem like the proper choice for now.

It is not very well advertised but the port on the Chromecast Audio is both a 3.5mm stereo jack and a mini-toshlink jack. So you can use the Chromecasts built in DAC and the supplied 3.5mm to RCA cable or use a mini-toshlink to toshlink cable and connect it to a higher quality external DAC. I personally have mine connected to a Schitt Bitfrost DAC.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/Basic-Bit-Perfect-Testing-Of-The-35-Chromecast-Audio/

Edited by Jdiesel

DomiStyle

It is not very well advertised but the port on the Chromecast Audio is both a 3.5mm stereo jack and a mini-toshlink jack. So you can use the Chromecasts built in DAC and the supplied 3.5mm to RCA cable or use a mini-toshlink to toshlink cable and connect it to a higher quality external DAC. I personally have mine connected to a Schitt Bitfrost DAC.

I see, so it's purely the hardware?

Jdiesel

I see, so it's purely the hardware?

I updated my last post with a link. I can test myself to see if there were any more firmware updates that changed things but the Chromecast audio is limited to 24bit/96kHz and can't output 24bit/192kHz over digital like the OP had requested. 24bit/96kHz is still very high quality and most would have a very difficult time distinguishing it between 24bit/192kHz but that is not a debate I am interested in getting into.

The benefit of a Chromecast audio over something like a RPi with Volumio is that the Chromecast can also be used for other apps like Google Music, Spotify, Tidal, podcasts, etc and has the benefit of allowing house guests to easily connect from their phones if you enable guest access.

If you do go with Volumio be sure that you create a DNLA profile that direct plays the audio as you don't want the server transcoding it.

DomiStyle

I updated my last post with a link. I can test myself to see if there were any more firmware updates that changed things but the Chromecast audio is limited to 24bit/96kHz and can't output 24bit/192kHz over digital like the OP had requested. 24bit/96kHz is still very high quality and most would have a very difficult time distinguishing it between 24bit/192kHz but that is not a debate I am interested in getting into.

The benefit of a Chromecast audio over something like a RPi with Volumio is that the Chromecast can also be used for other apps like Google Music, Spotify, Tidal, podcasts, etc and has the benefit of allowing house guests to easily connect from their phones if you enable guest access.

If you do go with Volumio be sure that you create a DNLA profile that direct plays the audio as you don't want the server transcoding it.

Alright, I will look into Chromecast too then. Most of my players do not need true "audiophile" quality anyway, the only one that does uses HDMI.

The only big features I'm really looking for is easy management of multiple players and of course general stuff like shuffle all, play all, search, etc. So far only Emby and Volumio are looking promising but I'm gonna ask around if somebody can borrow me their Chromecast Audio.

Jdiesel

Alright, I will look into Chromecast too then. Most of my players do not need true "audiophile" quality anyway, the only one that does uses HDMI.

The only big features I'm really looking for is easy management of multiple players and of course general stuff like shuffle all, play all, search, etc. So far only Emby and Volumio are looking promising but I'm gonna ask around if somebody can borrow me their Chromecast Audio.

What type of players? Unless your gear is "high end" enough to justify an external DAC the CCA's built in DAC is more than adequate for most users. Best of all it will only set you back $35.

DomiStyle

What type of players? Unless your gear is "high end" enough to justify an external DAC the CCA's built in DAC is more than adequate for most users. Best of all it will only set you back $35.

Currently I only have my HTPC (Raspberry Pi) + a Sonos Play 1. I'm trying to get rid of the Play 1, which is why I'm looking for options right now since I also want to expand to 3-4 players in different rooms.

The only place where "high end" gear is used already has a proper DAC in the receiver I'm using. I do have some proper passive speakers lying around but I would need an amplifier for those anyway.

The current sound from the Play 1 sounds about right for casual listening, so if I can match that I'm already happy.

Temperdu

Sorry for beeing away. Thanks for the answers. Before Rasplex, I've been interrested in Volumio but I like to rate may music and build smart playlists based on this. I prefer having my ratings in a library rather than files (stars remain if I can improve the qualityof  an album) and I like to be able to rate easily on my phone app (which I think, is not possile with Volumio).

I'll try Emby for Kodi as soon as I get a new SD card. I'm OK with the lack of an entire library shuffle as soon as I can shuffle a smart playlist typically based on genres and ratings. But the concern about the Android lockscreen might be much more problematic. I get irritated if things aren't smooth when a screen fades or awakes. But let me know : if I use my phone to start a play from my server to my Pi, the data won't transit through my phone, will it ? 

Temperdu

To be honest, I would lie if I told you that I can surely make the difference between 192 and 96 HD audio. And the CCA would be surely enough. I would use the SPDIF output anyway, and use my amplifier integrated DAC in both cases. But you know, I already have a spare Pi with a Hifiberry so... (I like Pi and have several : one retrogaming box, one seedbob, and one headless audio player).

That beeing said, with my gear, I can hear the difference between HDMI and HD audio on my Hifiberry enabled Pi. I tried a blindtest with several samples ;)

Edited by temperdu