Would a new HDHomerun speed things up?

bcm00re

So is just not at all possible for Emby to use the HDHR Extend's hardware transcoded video for Live TV (like Emby does when making recordings)?

If that is the case, then perhaps Emby might at least offer (in the future of course) the ability to setup tuner preferences so I can designate my Extend for recordings and/or setup my old HDHR tuner for Live TV. That way my Extend doesn't get tied up doing Live TV where it's ability to hardware transcode is wasted by Emby.

I actually don't think this will speed it up because the key here is not transcoding speed but rather the number of seconds of live video that have elapsed. I have a possible idea for the future to play with that might help for Roku.

bcm00re

Thanks for the update.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help/test.  FYI, I do write embedded code for a living, but I have zero experience in this area or anything even remotely close to it.  I only bring it up because I feel I could probably be a pretty good tester since I've do a lot of code testing in my 20+ year career.

Even if you are able to speed up getting a Live TV picture (and I REALLY hope you can), I still think it would be a good idea to have some new settings to select tuner preferences for Live TV versus recording TV.

bcm00re

I did a few tests tonight using the following 4 recordings:

1) Extend doing hardware transcoding, Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format checked, & Preserve original audio when converting recordings NOT checked

2) Extend doing hardware transcoding, Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format NOT checked, & Preserve original audio when converting recordings NOT checked

3) Extend doing hardware transcoding, Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format NOT checked, & Preserve original audio when converting recordings checked

4) Extend doing NO hardware transcoding, Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format NOT checked, & Preserve original audio when converting recordings checked

Here are the times it took to get video after selecting play:

1) 10 seconds - mkv container with H264/AAC codecs; this one produces no log

2) 10 seconds - mpegts container with H264/AC3 codecs; this one produces a remux log
3) 10 seconds - mpegts container with H264/AC3 codecs; this one produces a remux log

4) 14 seconds - mpegts container with MPEG2VIDEO/AC3 codecs; this one produces a transcode log

Please note the times above were done with stopwatch whereas all times I stated previously in this thread where just me counting (one mississippi, two mississippi, etc.)  For reference, tuning to Live TV on the same channel took about 24 seconds to get video using a stopwatch -- this is with Extend doing hardware transcoding (even though Emby isn't using it).  All numbers seem to be repeatable.  I know playing a recorded show isn't the same as a live stream, but I thought all these comparisons might still be noteworthy and/or helpful.

Edited by bcm00re

bcm00re

I would say most of that time (or at least half) is prior to the Roku progress bar. I'll try to quantify it for you when I get a chance.

bcm00re

Sometimes pictures -- or in this case videos -- are better than words.  I have attache videos of the process for #3 example and as well Live TV.  To circumvent some rule against uploading videos, I had to change the extensions on both files from MP4 to TXT (so change them both back to .mp4 before trying to view).  As you can see on the #3 example, most of the 10 seconds is not the Roku progress bar.  For the Live TV example, I'd say it about the same for the first 10 seconds -- and the latter 13-14 seconds (that makes it about 23+ seconds total) is the progress bar.

Number3-Fallon.txt

LiveTV.txt

Yes, it is about half and half which is the same as my experience.  The Roku in particular appears to take the longest to get Live TV going.