Sync claims I have no supported apps?

iamspartacus

iamspartacus

I'm trying to setup a sync/download job from the Web app and even though I have Emby installed and working on my Android phone, when I go to Download in the Web app it tells me "It looks like you don't currently have any apps that support offline downloading."

iamspartacus

use the download function inside the android app.

So is the download function inside the Web app useless?

iamspartacus

It is for folder sync and for cloud sync. You can learn more about those on our wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Sync

Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

I see.  Coming from Plex where you can setup sync jobs for your other apps, I got confused.

Btw, when I mention Plex is not to be annoying.  I'm all the way Emby now and I GREATLY appreciate the ability to have an open dialogue with the Emby dev team (something soaring lacking over at Plex).  But I mention these issues because I feel like you're going to start to see (if you haven't already) a lot of Plex users starting to test out Emby and I think you'll hook a lot more of them in if you make some changes to ease that transition.

Edited by iamspartacus

We actually used to have it but I took it away on account of troubleshooting over not being able to remotely wake the device from Emby Server. So currently if I put this back, it's going to bring back all of the complaints of "not working" and "I want it now".

The app will need to be running on the mobile device and in the foreground and with the screen on in order for it to react right away. Otherwise the only guarantee we can make is that the download will happen sometime in the future, and that's it.

To fully solve that, we need to setup cloud messaging to remotely wake the device but we don't have that right now.

iamspartacus

What about simply queueing the sync so the next time the app checks in it either starts automatically or brings up a pop-up.