Shield Pro Refresh Rate Switching and Lossless Audio

solidus28

solidus28

Good day!  I just picked up a couple Nvidia Shield Pros this week (attempting to move from old Win7 Media Center 1080p setups).  In general, it's working fine, but I'm starting to encounter some potential bugs.  Wanted to see if these were known or something that could be looked into.  I'm just using whatever is available in the Play store, no beta.

FYI, All of my movies are blu ray rips to MKV.  Receiver is a Marantz SR7010 & TV is a Vizio M70.

I sent logs over from the Shield at approximately 9:35a ET on 10/4/2017.

Issue #1:  I noticed when I play any of the Dark Knight Trilogy movies, the audio is showing on my AVR as plain Dolby Digital.  I did try a couple other Dolby TrueHD movies (didn't realize how many are DTS MA these days!) and they seem to show up normally.  I've pasted media info below for The Dark Knight.  It looks right to me and I never had an issue with EMC playing these movies with TrueHD.  When I check on the server, it says it is Direct Playing.

Issue #2:  Trying to figure out the best refresh rate.  If I set the Nvidia Shield to the recommended seeting (2160p, 59.97 I believe), then try to manually change the referesh rate to the 23.98 setting while playing a movie, it seems to revert back to the core audio stream and the only way I can seem to get back to the lossless audio is to stop the playback and start again, even if I pull up the OSD and pick the "HD" audio option.  I've tried various movies and that always seems to be the case, but specifically in this log, I was playing Battle Los Angeles.  I've pasted that Media Info from the web below as well.

Thanks in advance!

Media Info
Video

CodecVC1
ProfileAdvanced
Level3
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.9760246
Bitrate26192 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Audio

Languageeng
CodecTRUEHD
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng TRUEHD 5.1 Default
Audio

Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate640 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultNo
TitleEng Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitle

Languageeng
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
TitleEng
Containermkv
Path\\server1\multimedia\movies\DARK KNIGHT, THE\THEDARKKNIGHT.mkv
Size28518 MB

Media Info
Video

CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.9760246
Bitrate26250 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames2
Audio

Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS-HD MA
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng DTS-HD MA 5.1 Default
Audio

Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate1536 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultNo
TitleEng DTS 5.1
Subtitle

Languageeng
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
TitleEng
Subtitle

Languageeng
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
TitleEng
Containermkv
Path\\server1\multimedia\movies\BATTLE LOS ANGELES\Battle_Los_Angeles.mkv

1) The VC1 codec has to be transcoded so that is why it is also delivering straight DD.

2) This sounds like it may be a limitation of the device's display modes but I have this movie so can test this out and see if I can discover anything.

As an aside - if you don't have any 4k content, I recommend putting the Shield in 1080 mode.  I think you will probably get a crisper picture all around.

solidus28

The Shield was my attempt at going to 4k :)  I don't have much yet, but I'm sure it will grow.

For #2, it didn't seem to be picky for movies.  Seemed like just about any blu ray mkv I tested had the same issue.  Also tried on a Vizio M55, Yamaha RX-V667, & Shield Pro at 1080p.  Still seemed to drop to the lossless audio after a refresh rate switch during playback.

When you switched refresh rates (which is really a complete change of display mode for the device) the player reported an error reading the audio track and then recovered by re-playing it by transcoding.  This is why you are losing your HD audio in that situation. 

10-04 09:33:57.738  1985  1985 I System.out: ***** Got error from Exo player: AudioTrack write failed: -6
10-04 09:33:57.738  1985  1985 I System.out: Playback error - Failed to load video
10-04 09:33:57.739  1985  1985 I System.out: Player error encountered - retrying

I can reproduce this by switching display modes after playback has started so I guess that just throws the player for a loop with HD audio.

However, if you turn on auto refresh rate switching in the app, then the display mode is changed before playback starts and it works fine.  This will also get you the 1080 mode for 1080 movies which will probably look slightly better on your display.

solidus28

Ok, I uploaded a new log around 11:28a ET :)  Didn't mention that the reason I went down the path of leaving it at the 59hz setting and manually changing was because if I do the auto refresh change (and I also have the second fine tuning option selected), it works great!  Until I pause and resume.  On initial pause and resume, it looks like it's missing frames or something, just seems off.  If I pause and resume again, looks great!  Rinse and repeat.  Every other time I pause/resume the refresh rate seems funky (even though everything is still report 24p).  Not the biggest thing in the world since I know I just need to pause/resume again, but another little niggle.  In that log I tried it with an episode of Kevin Can Wait and repeated it multiple times on Despicable Me 3.

Okay.  For the next release of the app, this will be handled by stopping the video during the display mode change and then re-starting it.

solidus28

Thanks, Eric.  Just another note.  If I uncheck the Prefer exact match (forgot the exact wording), it does not exhibit the same behavior when pausing/unpausing.  But I'm guessing unchecking that options makes it detect 24 instead of 23.9xxx because if I leave it unchecked, I have a little bit of stutter every 30 seconds or so.  That's similar to what I used to see in Windows 7 if I selected 24 exactly, so I'm assuming that's what it's doing.  My TV info doesn't seem to show me what variant of 24p it's receiving, it always just shows 24p even if it's 23.9xxx.  Not sure if there is something there than can be looked at.  The auto switch would definitely be the preferred method.

For the VC1 thing, is that a limitation of the Shield hardware or something that Google could end up updating in the software at some point?

Our menu in the OSD will tell you exactly which refresh rate is the currently selected one.

I'm not sure about VC1 but I wouldn't hold your breath.  These boxes are not designed to play discs and that's the only place you're gonna see that codec.

hoppel118

What happens if you connect your shield via hdmi to the tv directly (without an avr in the chain)?

Maybe this helps to find the issue.

Which version is your nvidia shield experience?

With version 6.0 some refresh rate errors got solved:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1025430/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-6-0-for-shield-tv/

Greetings Hoppel

What happens if you connect your shield via hdmi to the tv directly (without an avr in the chain)?

Maybe this helps to find the issue.

Which version is your nvidia shield experience?

With version 6.0 some refresh rate errors got solved:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1025430/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-6-0-for-shield-tv/

Greetings Hoppel

Thanks.  I think we've discovered the issue.  It is just that the stream is interrupted while the display is changing modes and that is causing an error for the player.  By stopping the playback during the display mode change, we can avoid this.

• Like 1

solidus28

Our menu in the OSD will tell you exactly which refresh rate is the currently selected one.

I'm not sure about VC1 but I wouldn't hold your breath. These boxes are not designed to play discs and that's the only place you're gonna see that codec.

I apologize if I veer too far off topic, but if I were to build a new 4K capable PC, would Emby Theater be capable of playing things like VC1 as well as 4k/hdr media?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

KarlDag

For the record, I was also going to post an issue about refresh rate switching. I played a file on emby for AndroidTV and noticed it wasn't smooth (the opening scene of Star Wars with the panning text). The plex app on the same box plays the same file much better.

Also, the ShieldTV has VC1 playback ability, why does it need to be transcoded?

For the record, I was also going to post an issue about refresh rate switching. I played a file on emby for AndroidTV and noticed it wasn't smooth (the opening scene of Star Wars with the panning text). The plex app on the same box plays the same file much better.

This is going to be completely dependent on exactly which mode was selected (there are options to control this and you can select one manually as well).  It is also possible that not switching modes provides a better experience (depending on your TV).

Also, the ShieldTV has VC1 playback ability, why does it need to be transcoded?

In our previous tests we did not get good results but I will re-test with the recent updates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
solidus28

Did anyone ever confirm if VC1 worked now without transcoding? I returned my Shield, but would definitely give it another shot if this was working now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
solidus28

Picked up a couple Shield Pros to give them another shot.  Happy to report that my VC1 movies are direct playing now! :)  Thank you!!!