FR: Don't record episodes that I have already Watched

maegibbons

maegibbons

Hi

I know I have mentioned this in other Forums but cannot see that it has been made a feature request.

We already have the series setting:

"Don't record episodes that are already in my library"

What I would like to request is a

"Don't record episodes that I have already Watched" setting.which is very different.

I tend to record a lot of old series re-runs and then delete the episodes when I have watched them to preserve space.  Very occasionally I will come across an episode that I have not watched WHICH IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR AND WISH TO RECORD.  If i have already watched them or marked them as watched I do NOT want to re-record them.

So can you PLEASE introduce this setting in the series section?

Many Thanks

Krs

Mark

I thought there was this request out here already but I can't find it either...

As I think you know this is a lot more complicated than simply introducing a setting.  One of the complications would of course be "watched by whom?" and, you're going to say well give us the ability to indicate that.  Okay, but then that introduces more complications like making the UI harder to understand for the user and opening up potential for problems when users are deleted or re-created, etc.

Then there is the inevitable situation of an episode refusing to record and a user coming out here and reporting it as a bug and we spend several hours trying to track down why and then find out it because of this setting.  Then there needs to be a way for the user to say "oh, I don't really want to not record this anymore because I accidentally deleted it before the very end - or there is a newer version of it - or the data is wrong and it is really a different episode" etc. etc.  So then we need a way for you to modify the setting just for this one episode.

I think you can see how this gets complicated (not only from a development standpoint but from the user perspective as well) pretty fast :).

Not sure this would be any easier, but would making the setting be "don't record any episode that has been recorded before" also do what you want?

maegibbons

@@ebr

Many thanks for the considered response - I  DO understand your concerns and reservations which you have conveyed very well indeed.  I can see where you are coming from.

I may digest that and come back to you further with a rebuttal!!

However, so that we can perhaps move this on i would certainly be happy with "Don't record any episode that has been recorded before".    I think that would be a perfectly acceptable compromise.

So its Wednesday can we crank it in by the Weekend? :)

Only joking ... Monday will be fine!

Krs

Mark

CBers

@@ebr

So its Wednesday can we crank it in by the Weekend? :)

Only joking ... Monday will be fine!

Krs

Mark

Perhaps this is next on the list after "Stats for Nerds" is added :)

• Like 1