Setup issues on WP8

betterman13

betterman13

I have downloaded the server and its running (version 3.0.5171.19958).

I purchased the windows phone app today.  I am stuck at the connection setting.  Its asking for a Hostname.  I don't know what to put in for the Hostname.  On the server webpage dashboard, I see a remote access server address, however nothing states Hostname.  I tried putting in the http://xxxxxxx.... remote server address, but a message appears, "Error  Sorry your hostname is invalid, please make sure you dont  have any spaces in it."

So, where do I find the host name to add into my WP8 app????

Thanks

blairrd

Hello,

I am having issues as well with the wp8 app, and the remote access hyperlink on the server page for that matter.  I can access my library on my phone, surface pro, and xbox360 as long as I am on my home network.  When I take my phone off the network and use 4g lte, I get the invalid message at authentication.  When, I clink on the hyperlink on the server page, mine is something like http://7x.xxx.xx.xx:8096/mediabrowser, I get the page can't be displayed message in my browser, IE 11.  I have my 8096 port forwarded on my router and I have a windows firewall, which I thought I saw was automatically opened for mediabrowser during installation.  My PC running the server is a 8.1 64bit system. My phone is the new Nokia Icon.

When reading through the posts, I have seen a mod with their userid in their remote link instead of the raw ip address.  Is this my problem? Is there a step I am missing?

Router info:

Linksys e4200

I use auto DHCP, do I have to use a static ip?  My routers DDNS options are both pay for, which I am not interested in, and I am fine keeping track of ip  changes for now.

Thanks for any assistance,

blairrd

ScottIsAFool

You don't have to use a static IP, but you'd need to use something like dyndns (http://dyn.com/dns/) in order to have something that is updated when your IP address changes. Once you have that set up, you'd then use the url from dyndns in the app.

blairrd

So, I will have to pay $25 a year to have this work. I have a free domain through dnsdynamic that I just set up. I just hate the thought of paying and then still being unable to connect.

ScottIsAFool

Sorry, I was just using that as an example, if you have it through some other service, that should work just as well.

blairrd

Okay. I went ahead and went for the 14 day trial for remote access of dyne because this is integrated with my router for DNNS. I set that up in my router. My raw ip assigned to me is the same as mentioned above 7x.xxx.xx.xx.

Still getting the same result. I get the can't display in ie and invalid authentication in wp8. What am I missing?

Thanks.

7illusions

Are u sure you got the portforwarding setup correctly?

It sure sounds like that should be the issue.

Make sure that your router doesn't have a built in firewall, and check so that port 8096 points to your server 8096

ScottIsAFool

Hang on, quick question, what OS are you running the server on? If it's not Windows 8 or higher, you might not have opened the second port. If you go to the dashboard on your local network it should tell you what ports you're running on.

• 2 months later...
TheNooner

Hey All,

I wanted to add that I can access Media Browser over the internet using the Windows Phone browser, but not using the W8 phone app.  It would appear something specific to the app.  Are there logs I can view/export for your persual?

ScottIsAFool

Hey All,

I wanted to add that I can access Media Browser over the internet using the Windows Phone browser, but not using the W8 phone app.  It would appear something specific to the app.  Are there logs I can view/export for your persual?

When it fails to connect, if you tap the app and click on send logs, it should prompt you to email the logs. It's a bit odd that you can access it from the browser, but not the app though. Just to clarify, in the app, you're not including the http:// are you?

paulfcollins

I was having similar issues in that I could access my content via the MediaBrowser WP app while on my home network but then couldn't access it when connected over 3/4G. I could access the content via the phones web browser, which proved that I had set up port forwarding correctly for that element. What I needed to do was to also set up a port forwarding rule for the second port. Once I had done that I had full access to the content via both options..

Great work guys...