Cropped 1080p media reports as 720p

camerons

13 hours ago, pwhodges said:

If it's purist to say that something whose dimensions literally include 1080 is not 1080, I guess those "purists" are the kind who like to alter the aspect ratio of what they're watching to fill the screen regardless of the distortion!

Paul

Let's look at it the other way.  If I sold you a TV that had the resolution of 1480x1080 would you except that as a 1080 Full HD TV?

Of course not because it's not 1920x1080.  Same with the video to a purist.

pwhodges

Overloading a specific meaning onto an incomplete descriptor is what leads to this ambiguity.  But you said "1080 Full HD", not just "1080"; that TV doesn't meet the first description, sure, but it does meet the second!

Paul

Yea, talking resolution is a can of worms. Yes I snuck "FULL HD" in there on purpose. :)

The other argument that's just as valid is to say anything over the HD resolution can't be 720 but the next highest common resolution or FULL HD. <-- What the server shows on detail screen as 1080 for this movie in question.  From this point of view (likely most common) the cover art plugin is wrong.

To me personally if the height or width is greater than the spec of HD/720 it must be the next higher resolution such as FULL HD/1080. To me it fits that box/bracket.

• 1 year later...
Eagleman04

What were the final dimensions being used by Emby to determine resolution? I ran a blu ray rip through handbrake and auto cropping produced a resolution of 1768X800. Emby is reporting this as 720 where Plex shows it as 1080.

resolution.jpg

visproduction

Either you or Handbrake picked a size of 1768 width to make the copy.  blu-ray HD is 1920 wide.  blu-ray production makes either full 1920 width or full 1080 height.  A professional blu-ray disk does not offer 1768 width x 800 height.  The copy should have been made to 1920 x 868.  It would then be labled, correctly as 1080P. If you don't reach 1920 width or 1080 height, you don't qualify to be listed as blu-ray 1080P.  This is an industry standard.  If Plex let's you do it, they are not abiding to the industry standard.

This is a lesser used Aspect Ratio Todd-AO.  There have been only about a dozen big films in the last 20 years with this ratio:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd-AO

Eagleman04

Thank you. This was a handbrake setting. It’s usually good at guessing appropriate cropping, but I’ll manually overriding it this time to keep the width at 1920 and see how it looks.

Happy2Play

We really need the thresholds list in a KB or Tutorial that can be referenced as this comes up a lot.

Happy2Play

Another note is this will affect playback option also if not Direct Playing as these items will be limited to the lower Resolution they are identified as.

image.thumb.png.cd516f6df4b749089fccc1578bc7fb8e.png