Emby Android TV issues for certain videos when using reverse proxy

FunkadelicRelic

FunkadelicRelic

Hi all.

I'm having trouble with the Emby app for Android TV on my Sony Bravia (2015) TV. I have the app installed and can successfully login to my server (Reverse Proxied) and browse my media.

However, certain files refuse to play. I start the movie and the spinning loading icon continues to spin while nothing loads. I then have to force close the app.

It's strange because some media will work fine, others will not.

For reference, I tried the Android, iOS and Chrome apps and all work perfectly. Those devices are all on the same WiFi network and even the videos that will not play on ATV will play just fine on them. It seems localized to my ATV app.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I've tried lowering the bitrate to see if that helps but no joy.

FunkadelicRelic

Thanks @@CBers and @@maegibbons - attached is my server log. There was no associated ffmpeg log file.

I started the show at 12:14 GMT today, left it spinning for 3 minutes and backed out while it crashed. The show is Turtles (1x03) and the profile was 'Kids' accessing from my Sony Bravia TV on last octet IP .109.

Cheers.

emby-server-log.txt

FunkadelicRelic

Unfortunately, I cannot see the playback issue in your log.

Is it possible to try the beta version to see if it behaves differently?

Thanks @@ebr - I signed up to the beta a few hours ago so I'll go check to see if it has installed yet and give it a try.

FunkadelicRelic

OK. The weirdness continues. I have reconfigured my network to take my reverse proxy out of the equation (direct to IP and 8086) and lo and behold, everything streams.

This has to be an issue with my reverse proxy. I have another issue open at the below URL, it would be awesome if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks again for all your help so far.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51307-Emby-via-reverse-proxy-and-internal-network-settings

FunkadelicRelic

Bumping as I've discovered this is probably not related to my reverse proxy.

I've discovered that if I install MX Player and set Emby to use it as an external player, everything works flawlessly.

I'd love to get the stock player working. Is there anything I can do to help progress this issue? The thread I posted above has more details and logs if that is useful?

CBers

Is that on the beta version?

Did you Send Logs in the app again?

If not, do so and post here to let @@ebr know what time you sent the logs and what user was logged in.

• Like 1

FunkadelicRelic

This is on both stable and beta. I'll get some logs uploaded a little later today and let you know.

Thanks for your help.

FunkadelicRelic

Hi @@CBers - I've just reverted the external player back to using the default player and tried to play one of the videos that fails. Sent the debug logs from the app. The video was attempted at 10:24 GMT with the user 'Tom'.

Hope this helps to shed some light on the issue.

Regards.

• Like 1

Looks like it is trying to play the item in VLC and it simply never starts playing.

Can you show us the media info from the web app on this item?

Also, have you tried using the "Playback Correction" menu item while it is sitting there trying to play?

FunkadelicRelic

I can grab the media info over the next couple of days. Thanks.

I tried the playback correction and it seems to temporarily play the video but then it crashes after a few minutes.

FunkadelicRelic

Back out of the video, spinny circle, keep pressing back and the app prompts to force close. I can usually start two videos with playback correction before it starts misbehaving.

FunkadelicRelic

@@ebr - Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Below is the media info for one of the videos that fails.

Media Info

Video

Codec         H264
AVC           Yes
Profile       High
Level         41
Resolution    1280x720
Aspect ratio  16:9
Anamorphic    No
Interlaced    No
Framerate     23.9760246
Bitrate       2546 kbps
Bit depth     8 bit
Pixel format  yuv420p
Ref frames    1
NAL           4

Audio

Codec         AC3
Layout        5.1
Channels      6 ch
Bitrate       384 kbps
Sample rate   48000 Hz
Default       Yes
Title         Dolby Digital 5.1 Default

Container     mkv

maegibbons

Can you post a copy of this media somewhere for us to download?

We can then validate the failure on more than one device and see if we can help come up with answers.

Krs

Mark

FunkadelicRelic

I could but not sure it will help to be honest - it's not just this video, it's nearly everything in my library.

CBers

I could but not sure it will help to be honest - it's not just this video, it's nearly everything in my library.

Create a sample of a few videos that fail and we can test.

If they fail, then it's Emby, if not, it's something localised to your setup.

• Like 1

FunkadelicRelic

I think it is a combination of those things @@CBers - I run through a reverse proxy. When I set the Android TV client to point directly at the server, everything works. When I switch back to the reverse proxy, the issues start.

However, the reason I don't believe it is reverse proxy related 100%, is that I can stream everything through the reverse proxy if I use the external player in Emby for Android TV, and all my other clients work perfectly through the reverse proxy.

It just seems to be an issue when using the built-in Android TV client through the reverse proxy.