Limiting streaming Bandwidth affects local streaming

ProXy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hey there,

because of my poor upload speed I set a maximum bandwidth for uploading when streaming outside the local network. When I stream to my iPad in the same network this restriction is also active, all streams are extremely blurry. Removing the limit gives a perfect clear stream. I checked my router, the data is routed locally, no upload is done.

Any advices on that issue?

Edited by ProXy

Hello Luke,

here is a server log trying to play a movie. At first the streaming bandwidth was limited, when i started playback the CPU usage increased to 100%. Then i removed the limit and continued with the same movie, CPU was idle.

Whenever I set a streaming bandwidth limit, those HTTP-Params can be found in the log: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 1000000, RemoteIp: 79.201.93.143, IsInLocalNetwork: False

Thank you :)

server_log.txt

Edited by ProXy

In the emby server dashboard what ip address does the activity log show for the mobile device?

The dashboard shows my public ip address for the iPad and also for Google Chrome. The PS4 is accessing with the local ip address.

FunkadelicRelic

Not sure if related but I noticed in your log file that the Host= field it looks like you have a typo in the address. You have htp://ip.

Thanks for your answer, but I guess it is right. I have a dyndns host called htp.synology.me and another one called htp.bitstudio.org ;)

FunkadelicRelic

Haha, well that explains that then. Was just trawling some logs to see if mine matched (I am battling a HAProxy issue) and it jumped out at me. As you were [emoji23]

I did a fresh install yesterday but most of my local devices appear with the public ip address on the dashboard. Is there any workaround for this?

If you launch the app then it will connect with the correct address, e.g. local/remote.

I think the issue is that if you launch the app remotely, then enter your home network, it won't automatically switch. That's something we can review for a future update to the app. Thanks.

• Like 1

iPad: iOS App -> public ip address

Windows 10: Google Chrome -> public ip address

PS4: Browser -> local ip address

You are right, i am using the external address to access emby, but why will the PS4 still use the internal ip address while the other devices are not?

• Solution

In the web app (chrome) whatever address you put in the browser address bar, that's what will be used. Does that answer your question?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...