DLNA and Samsung UHD TV

DreamC

I'm trying to setup Emby as a DLNA server for my Samsung UHD TV (MU6195 model).

I encountered a couple of problems - TV encounters a problem when trying to play a supported filetype (Universal Media Server serves it without transcoding). How can I troubleshoot this?

And another question is how can I finetune the transcoding feature for my TV (I saw some device profiles, but there are a lot of different stuff inseide and I didn't find any manual for that)? Is it possible to transcode videos with subtitles?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks! Will be waiting for it.

And what about the transcoding configuration? Where can I find some info on how to write my own device profile?

Is it possible to transcode videos with subtitles on request (or just videos with subtitles, as TV's subtitles rendering is awfull).

Happy2Play

There is no configuration to transcode on request.  But removing supported subtitles should accomplish what you what,

Dashboard-DLNA-select the profile-on Info tab rename profile (to better see in logs)-then scroll down and expand Subtitles Profiles and delete supported formats-hit save

Oh... sorry, I didn't see that small "Profiles" label on the top.

Will check it.

And the Emby beta for netcore is missing sqlite3.dll. (just copied it from another release)

Happy2Play

Oh... sorry, I didn't see that small "Profiles" label on the top.

Will check it.

And the Emby beta for netcore is missing sqlite3.dll. (just copied it from another release)

What OS?  What server version number?  Haven't seen that issue on Windows.

The universal Emby netcore package from here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

embyserver-netcore-3.2.32.16.zip

Tried checking Samsung profile, but the UI is a bit of a mess there... Is it possible to specify somewhere maximum resolutions, bitrates, etc?

Is there a list of supported codecs? (For example, can I specify the avc1 codec to be transcoded? As it just goes as Direct Play due to MPEG-4 container)

Edited by DreamC

Happy2Play

Not all the edit features are in the UI and has to edited directly in the xml file.  So where ever you installed the zip in the programdata\config\dlna\user (that is where your custom profile should be if you did the steps above). 

Don't bother editing the system profiles as they will be reset to default.  You can copy from dlna\system to dlna\user if you like also.

All the supported info would have to come from your TV Manual.

You many want to explore some of the other profiles as examples.  You can target specific conditions to accomplish what you want but there isn't any documentation.

Thanks for info.

Currently looking for other custom profiles.

That's bad that there is no documentation for this. Especially because I saw that other Media Servers (like UMS) do not provide (yet?) support for all codecs, making it impossible to put them into conditions.

What can be the "most full" profile utilizing the most of the possibilities?

And I assume it is better NOT to touch the ProtocolInfo section?

Edited by DreamC

Happy2Play

Thanks for info.

Currently looking for other custom profiles.

That's bad that there is no documentation for this. Especially because I saw that other Media Servers (like UMS) do not provide (yet?) support for all codecs, making it impossible to put them into conditions.

What can be the "most full" profile utilizing the most of the possibilities?

And I assume it is better NOT to touch the ProtocolInfo section?

Other media servers still have separate profiles for different model.  All DLNA media servers are that way.  The community drives this for Emby as the developers don't own every device. 

Well protocoinfo wasn't built for your device specifically so it is all Trail and Error, not like you can brake anything.

Not ideal but Emby is really similar to Pl*x in the way of DLNA profiles and their documentation is where I did all my trial and error configuring from.

A full documentation of this as well as revamp of the UI is needed, but keeps getting pushed down the priority list.

Where can I find the list of supported codecs/containers?

All I found was this https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/blob/134b17f197d63c0486d9cf92b0511ea8e294e0af/MediaBrowser.Model/Dlna/MediaFormatProfile.cs, but this is a strange list, as it does not contain a lot of codecs used in actual profiles.

Why I'm asking is - how, for exmaple, will Dolby Digital or G.711 codec will look like? Or DivX video codec? And a lot of others... (I don't have the actual videos to test it).

Happy2Play

Have you looked at Media info of a item?  Info provided by ffmpeg.  You need to look at your TVs Manual to get supported information.

Video

CodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1916x796
Aspect ratio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate24
Bitrate4354 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL4
Audio

Languageeng
CodecAC3
Codec tagac-3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng Dolby Digital 5.1 Default
Containermp4
Path\\WHS2011-HOME\Videos\Kids-Animation\Movies\Despicable Me Collection\Despicable Me 3 (2017) [Family-Animation]\Despicable Me 3 (2017) [Family-Animation].mp4

I've got it open right now. That's why I'm asking.

I don't have all of those media types to check their media info, and I'm more than sure that Dolby Digital audio codec will be written differently in media info.

Happy2Play

I've got it open right now. That's why I'm asking.

I don't have all of those media types to check their media info, and I'm more than sure that Dolby Digital audio codec will be written differently in media info.

Correct that is ac3 as shown above.  Obviously everything is not there as who has even half those media formats.  The Samsung profiles should just need tweaking to your TV models special or your desired playback.

• 2 weeks later...

It took me a while to get down to creating my own profile.

It is not yet finished (the not-finished version is attached) and I have a few questions.

Profile conditions related questions:

1) What exactly is the "isRequired" property in ProfileCondition element?

2) The "EqualsAny" condition type must have the values separated by "|" or ","? (as this one then differs from all other enumerations)

3) How can I specify different Resolution-framerate coupling for one and the same codec? Should I write two separate CodecProfile with different conditions inside (this will basically mean that all conditions are iterated through till the first True condition)

4) What is VideoAudio type? Will this condition apply to only audio codecs defined for video files? And if I need, for example a max of 6 channels for both Audio and VideoAudio codec, then I have to specify two differenet CodecProfile or I can put like type="VideoAudio,Audio"?

Device identification:

5) What is the procedure to correctly identify my device? How can I get all the needed headers to separate my Samsung TV (or even better - all modern UHD TVs) from a generic Samsung TV?

And some questions about video codecs that I could not resolve on my own...

6) What is the MVC codec? It seems to be a profile of h264, as a sample video from here http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples shows in Metadata Manager like

Codec H264
AVC Yes
Profile High
Level 41

however MPC-HC shows it like

Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count                : 2

The profile should really be Stero High (as it is defined for H264).

What should I do with this one?

7) How should I define the DivX codec? Sample videos from http://www.divx.com/de/devices/profiles/video are marked as

Codec MPEG4
Codec tag DX50

How are different DivX versions marked? divx, dx40, dx50?

Audio codecs:

8) Is HE-AAC just a subtype of AAC or it has to be defined separately? All I found is that this codec is actually AAC and there are a fewprofiles - Low complexity, Main and some others. HE-AAC is actually a profile of AAC, so how should I define these? (I have a couple of samples, stating

CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileHE-AAC

but I got confused, because the DishHopper profile has a DirectPlayProfile with codecs aac, he-aac, pcm (not profiles, but codecs!).

Why he-aac is defined as a codec here and not a profile?

9) To continue the DishHopper profile. How the comparison of the codec string is done? Substring? Full string? I'm asking, as there is no "pcm" codec, but there are a lot of different pcm_xxxx codecs. And a sample file shows

Codec PCM_ALAW
Channels 2 ch

10) I failed to find anything about DTS audio codec. Are Core/LBR/HD_MA/HD_HRA just the profiles of DTS, and, thus, I should only define the "dts" codec, or it is something else? At least ffmpeg states that it has profiles

‘unknown’ ‘aac_main’ ‘aac_low’ ‘aac_ssr’ ‘aac_ltp’ ‘aac_he’ ‘aac_he_v2’ ‘aac_ld’ ‘aac_eld’ ‘mpeg2_aac_low’ ‘mpeg2_aac_he’ ‘mpeg4_sp’ ‘mpeg4_core’ ‘mpeg4_main’ ‘mpeg4_asp’ ‘dts’ ‘dts_es’ ‘dts_96_24’ ‘dts_hd_hra’ ‘dts_hd_ma’

So what should I define?

Response profiles:

11) What are the response profiles for "trp" and "svi" formats? DO they go like "video/mp2p"%?

12) Not a question, but a small note. A generic Samsung profile has response profile for "mkv" format like "video/x-mkv", which is incorrect. It should be "video/x-matroska".

Subtitles:

13) How to correctly define subtile formats? For example, there are SubRip subtitles, which are defined just as "srt", which is their file extension. And this is regardless of if they are embedded or not.

MPEG-4 Timed Text subtitles have "ttxt" extension, but are recognized as "mov_text". So how should they be defined to work correctly? And other types as well...

Sorry for a lot of question! Will be grateful for any help!

Samsung Smart TV UHD.xml

Edited by DreamC