Fire TV Device Name on Server

CaseyP
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

CaseyP

The situation: My household uses Amazon Fire Tv boxes in just about every room that has a TV available. Some users tend to use a phone app to navigate the library finding what to watch instead of the fire remote. 

The problem: When the user wants to "cast" to a device from their phone, they are given a list of 6 identical "Amazon AFTB"s to pick from and so can not easily determine which is the box they're trying to use. 

Question: Since there appears to be no way to change a device name via the settings, in the app or server settings (please correct me if I'm wrong) can I request this feature be explored please? So for instance, one box can be named "LivingRmFireTv" while another is "GuestRmFireTv"   

• Solution

It makes sense to expose this in app settings, but in the meantime, have you explored server device settings?

• Like 1

CaseyP

It makes sense to expose this in app settings, but in the meantime, have you explored server device settings?

Haha, you always are right on point. 

Yes, clicking on the device in the devices (something I swear I tried before) and renaming said device, shows that new name as a castable device..

Thank you! Problem solved. 

CaseyP

After clicking on the Devices option, my initial impression took away that there was a trash can icon and nothing else. So I assumed that all you could do was delete a device. It was immediately apparent to me that there was a further option setting for me by clicking on each device. So user error to be sure.