Android TV - Live TV Guide - Automatically Play Currently Airing Show

DavidS1977

DavidS1977

Ideally, I'd like an option with the Android TV app so that when I click on an something which is currently playing, that it starts playing immediately rather than going to the "Tune To Channel" pop up.

I realise that I can do the same thing by pressing play, but the Shield remote implementation of play/pause is not very intuitive and not something my other half will ever use!

Hope this is okay and I've put this in the right area.

Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

DavidS1977

The same goes for the things in the "on now" tab. Obviously I know that some people will want to leave it as it is, so I was thinking this behaviour could be controlled by an app setting.

I also know that the pop up from the guide exposes some controls/info but nothing that isn't available by pressing the down arrow when the show is playing.

• Like 2

The problem with that is that the only way to record that item would be to tune to the channel and, since that can still take several seconds, I still believe it is better to have the popup.

Whenever the item is currently playing, the first and highlighted button is Tune to Channel so it is just two quick clicks to get to playback if that's what you want.

DavidS1977

That makes sense - but could this be an optional setting? I'm trying to make this system a bit more acceptable at home - if you get my drift.

Edited by garethuk

Also - there is a record button in the status pop up when you press down, I think. I'll check it later.

The problem with that is that the only way to record that item would be to tune to the channel 

Spaceboy

The problem with that is that the only way to record that item would be to tune to the channel and, since that can still take several seconds, I still believe it is better to have the popup.

Whenever the item is currently playing, the first and highlighted button is Tune to Channel so it is just two quick clicks to get to playback if that's what you want.

please could you tell Luke this about the web client

• 4 years later...

Also, if you have a remote with a "play" button, that will immediately tune the channel.

• 5 weeks later...
dRuEFFECT

I commented on another more recent thread that was considered duplicate, so adding my support here as suggested. 

I think it would be most intuitive if selecting a currently airing program in the guide would immediately tune to the channel, while a press and hold of select brings up the recording options, and single select of future airings in the guide bring up the recording options as it does normally. I think it's safe to assume that most people don't wish to record a partial airing already in progress. Press and hold for a context menu is very useful for media items in the libraries, I'm surprised there isn't a context menu for live TV programs anywhere, that would the perfect way to access recording options.

Can this be considered? I recently moved back to Emby from Plex specifically because Emby is far better for live TV and DVR, and you might think it's nitpicking but I'm just advocating for making it one notch closer to perfect. 

Edited by dRuEFFECT

• 1 year later...
sfraga2003

Hello Luke.
Have any news to play channel direct on Live guide channel?
Skip play,record section.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:14 AM, sfraga2003 said:

Hello Luke.
Have any news to play channel direct on Live guide channel?
Skip play,record section.

Hi, does your remote control have a play button on it? That is one way.